Print Thread
#1540171 04/02/06 07:28 AM
T
Tourige Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Installed the Steeda short throw the other day and now the cars been kicking/not going into 2nd very well, im assuming its just the linkage but does anyone have any possiblilites on how to fix it, i hate grinding the gears.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

#1540172 04/02/06 08:22 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
.......be sure the levers on the trans are both vertical(neutrall) position(drivers wheel off)......press in the orange spring plastic buttons on the shift cable ends on the trans...they must lock 'in'...this unlocks the inner cable from the cable ends...the stich must be dead vertical in the shifter and dead central between 3rd & 4th....you may find you need to move the stick towards 3rd position(this is being done with the orange 'locks' in and disengaged.Press the tab on the side of the cable ends to unlock the orange button..it must pop 'out' to lock the cable...it has a spring under it....depress the clutch and see if you 'feel' the 2,4th gear engage before the stick touches the rear oof the ally housing....if you have adjusted too much you will loose travel on 1st/3rd etc....only adjust the WHITE cable end...that covers front to rear movement of the stic...the black cable end is side to side in the neutral part of the 'gate'...

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
#1540173 04/02/06 06:52 PM
T
Tourige Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
wow, that was confusing. Ill try that next week when i do my tranny fluid change.

much like your weiner.

#1540174 04/02/06 07:15 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I had the exact same problem when I installed my steeda shifter. That was a copy and paste of instructions I got from Terry Haines to adjust the shift linkage. It all ends up being really easy once you see what your looking at. You are not getting enough rearward travel in your cables anymore due to the new shifter so you need to readjust your linkage.

The shifter cable end you want to adjust is white with an orange button on it, it is the one closest to you once you get the wheel off and look up in there. Pushing the orange button releases the cable from the end and when it pops back out it locks on the cable again.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
#1540175 04/02/06 07:43 PM
T
Tourige Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by 99SVT:
I had the exact same problem when I installed my steeda shifter. That was a copy and paste of instructions I got from Terry Haines to adjust the shift linkage. It all ends up being really easy once you see what your looking at. You are not getting enough rearward travel in your cables anymore due to the new shifter so you need to readjust your linkage.

The shifter cable end you want to adjust is white with an orange button on it, it is the one closest to you once you get the wheel off and look up in there. Pushing the orange button releases the cable from the end and when it pops back out it locks on the cable again.

do you have the centering spring installed?

So what i do: put the shifter into neutral, right in the middle of 3rd and 4th, Unclip the white/orange shift cable on the trans, then what? how exactly do you adjust it?

much like your weiner.

#1540176 04/02/06 08:09 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by Tourige:
Originally posted by 99SVT:

do you have the centering spring installed?

So what i do: put the shifter into neutral, right in the middle of 3rd and 4th, Unclip the white/orange shift cable on the trans, then what? how exactly do you adjust it?

No I took the centering spring out, I don't feel a difference whether it's there or not tho.

Yes shifter in neutral. Dead center. Push the orange button in, which realeases the cable. Then make sure the shifter is still in dead center, I pushed it slightly up towards 3 to give me more rear travel. Then release the orange button and you should be good to go. If it's still not good try again, if you went too far same thing just try again, it's real easy. You don't necessarily have to be driving to feel if you did it right. Once you lock the cable back on go row thru the gears and see if you can get to all of them before lowering the car and stuff.

#1540177 04/03/06 01:32 AM
T
Tourige Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
oh, didnt think it was that easy, your first post made it sound WAY harder.

Cool, did u just do this on jackstands?

much like your weiner.

#1540178 04/03/06 01:40 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I don't even think i used a jackstand, just the jack, but yes you should use a jackstand, only one tho. Just jack up the front drivers side and take that wheel off and the cable ends are up behind the splash shield. Whole thing should take less than 15min.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard