Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Good read with my morning coffee

Let's use my car for an example, shall we? I have a Lightning 90mm MAF and #36 inectors and am only running 3.5psi on my 3L. With TurboTom's theory, I should be running like crap. That could not be farther from the truth. I agree with Warmonger about how easy tuning these cars with the SCT software is. 90mm is too big? Then use a Ford 80mm or a GT's 7Xmm and start out with the MTF from SCT and dial the mofo in. No hack tuning needed when OEM MAF can be picked up for peanuts new or next to new.

Why is it that most if not all of the Foci owners using SCT soft/hardware that I've seen are all going to draw through setups because of bad idle issues with blow through setups? Could it be because you loose anywhere between 20-30% resolution on the same MAF when used in a blow through setup vs a draw through?

With that said...
TurboTom, you sound like you do have a ton of tuning under your belt and I can respect that you have found a method of tuning that you can make work. Are you that saying your way is the absolute best method for good streetability and peak power?

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Let me correct some misinformation you stated , you still dont seem to understand or want to understand how it truely works you want to only see it as a "hack" tuning devise and i dont feel it is

QUOTE"you still have to sit there and screw with the PCM values to get the thing to work. "
****Granted SOME changes need to be made in the tuning to use the MAFia BUT if you change to anything buy the stock MAF all the same things need to be changed in the software anyway, As for what Diablo posted on there site those are WORST CASE problems and i have never had to go to that extreme yet with about 50 used

QUOTE "I personally can NOT see how this is superior to getting a Factory calibrated MAF with the correct airflow range and installing it with the downloaded factory MAF transfer function."
****Let me tell you me reasons why. I have tryed about every MAF out there in my 3 inch blowthrough tubes and some before when i had drawthrough and it was either the MAF was to small and i would hit 4.9V at about 5500 to 6000 or it was to big and i would only get to about 3.6 volts at 6200 on a FI Zetec. The Lightning is WAY to big and bulky to use and the Cobra is the same way and still dealing with the 4 bolt flanges. The Pro-M was a useable choise before they went out of buisness BUT then if you wanted more power you would have to send it back to Pro-M spend another 125.00 to get it Recal. With the MAFia you just turn it to a Diff setting and your back in buisness

QUOTE:With a scaling device you loose some ability to keep the idle voltage ranges where they were designed and you have to compensate for that by adjusting the MAFia settings, the pcm transfer function, injector slopes, basically a whole crap load of variables!"
****This just is not the truith low load idle settings are PERFECT Crap i have 96lb injectors a 3 inch tube stock Focus MAF electronics blowthrough and my Zetec idles like a new Zetec and still has the range to make 734HP , If what you say is true please explain why mine works so well?

With the MAFia you dont have to go in and change NAY data points you keep what Ford intended for that car so as you said the QUOTE
-Idle quality is near perfect or not different than factory
-Cruise driveability is completely stock
-WOT air fuel safe and within the target range
-Gas mileage city/highway is usually improved on near stock applications,
-the ability to raise the boost up and down with no further tuning required.
-No additional electronics required on the engine, nothing but factory hardware to affect reliability.
-Save money through reduced hardware and tuning costs.
*****All stay the same is if you did it your way with the exception of i have far more adjustability as to what my range can be , wont need another MAF electronics as i go up in power and peg the one that is now used because if it is properly sized you should be in the mid 4.5 range and not a lot of room left , dont have to deal with bulky LARGE MAF housings because to install the electronics in a small tune lowers the range to much

You have given your opinions as to why you dont like it BUT you havent given any hard facts why not to

Im still wainting for you to answer your slanderous Mr, Blowthrough hack tuner comment ?

Tom

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Question - being that the actual air flow volume is being reduced to the PCM, how much of an effect does it have on the load calculations?

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by 1turbofocus:
Let me correct some misinformation you stated , you still dont seem to understand or want to understand how it truely works you want to only see it as a "hack" tuning devise and i dont feel it is

C'mon man, I granted you that it has it's uses, but it's a simple device. It ain't rocket science.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by Keyser:
Question - being that the actual air flow volume is being reduced to the PCM, how much of an effect does it have on the load calculations?

As anything having to do with the MAF the load also needs to be scailed by what ever setting you choose this puts everything back in check where it should be

Tom

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
So you can't just throw one of these on a car and call it good, you still need to have it tuned. I just want to make sure that others reading this don't see the Maf.ia as the complete tuning package.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D

As anything having to do with the MAF the load also needs to be scailed by what ever setting you choose this puts everything back in check where it should be

Tom

So you can't just throw one of these on a car and call it good, you still need to have it tuned. I just want to make sure that others reading this don't see the Maf.ia as the complete tuning package.

DING DING DING

~~~

Hack the MAF voltage in any way and it creates multiple errors in the load calculations. Nearly everything in the PCM is based on the load calcualtions. This exponentially corrupts the data used in both adaptive and WOT fuel calculations, shift points and pressure, et cetera.
No matter how you want to slice it or pretty it up with fancy words nothing changes this obvious fact. Some of these petty statements to the contrary are quite amusing. Typical hack tuner ignorance and mentality. Nothing beats tuning properly. (when available) Period.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
You mean "hack" as in using a 80 or 90MM MAF housing that has poor resonance crappy 4 bolt flanges thet leak if you try to do them blowthrough and couplers that cost you 2 times the money because you need odd couplers to connect the 3.25 to a 2.5 pipe and 3.5 to 2.5 , thats just insane to tell anyone or recomend that they be used

It amazes me that some can run there mouth with slander and yet have a hard time backing it up with anything

Yes like i said i have done FI on a Zetec both ways and the load calculations at 300HP and 6200RPM were with in .010 of each other so how is this "hack tuning" you guys keep saying it but have yet to back that up either

Tom

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
crappy 4 bolt flanges thet leak if you try to do them blowthrough

FWIW, all of us ADC turbo guys have draw through MAF's.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
crappy 4 bolt flanges thet leak if you try to do them blowthrough

FWIW, all of us ADC turbo guys have draw through MAF's.

and i too will be going that route with my homemade setup

draw through 90mm lightning maf

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard