Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
The APEXi SAFC wont work with any type of good proper tuning , talking about a POS at least the MAFia will work with ANY tuning on the market Diablo , Sniper , SCT

QUOTE "We give equal time to everyone if they argue intelligently and even moderatley respectably in their manners." Around here we evaluate all options and debate those options academically."
****Your kidding right, You are so close minded still you would over look a good part like the MAFia with out even giving it a chance, this guy posted and did all he could to ask questions and find out what he could and get opinions , you have yet to give a intelligent reason why this is a "POS other than your onionons with no bases to back it up, Just when is it you start to " evaluate all options and debate those options academically."

No this one is my favorite QUOTE" But since you opened up a can of worms, you reap what you sow "Mr. Blow through MAF is a good idea with hacked ECMs" and now MAFia's. "
****What is hacked about the ECM i use and what is wrong with A blowthrough , THIS SHOULD BE INTERESTING

QUOTE "And needing to pair the MAFia up with Diablo software for best results? "
****Diablo sais this because in the Diablo software if you use the MAFia all you have to do to make all the changes is click on the wizard then hit the number you have the MAFia set on and it does all the changes in the software needed to best use the MAFia instead of having to go and change both the High and Low injector slopes , it will work just as well with the SCT or Sniper software because i use them both with the MAFia

I dont mind debating anything and i have the knowledge first hand with this product to answer questions, BUT i have delt with you in the past and anything that isnt your idea or you gave up on is junk or a POS , you wont debate and you shure cannot back up your opinions academically because you talking out your butt with out ever using one or trying one ,Those that want more info about a VERY good way to extend the use of your MAF you may email me at hpdyno@aol.com im more than willing to help out

Now lets see how your going to back up the "hack" statement

Tom

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
You see although you took this to extremes with starting the insults first, THIS IS A semi-intelligent debate, without the manners. Just look back at the thread and the posts and you can see how it was debate then turned ugly when you reared your head.

As far as this product and your opinion, you like it, use it.

You say I have to try it to have an opinion about it? That's just plain foolish. It's called shopping and product education BEFORE you spend your money!!
So I can look at a GEO METRO and decide that it is a cheap mode of transportation, probably light weight with little crash protection but with the advantage of fuel economy. Does that mean that I have to go buy one and get into a wreck before I can intelligently talk about it?

Like I said, you are a real piece of work. You are going to insult me and say that I won't listen to anyone when there is YEARs of proof in the archives to where I have had opinions and was WRONG, but through debate and education I have changed my views. I'll even fall on my sword here and tell you one area. I remember when I thought it was a good idea to try and get a MAF sized for different injectors and install the two together. BOY was I foolish and it was PA3L (something like that), I think Rara chimed in too, that argued and educated me as to why it was wrong. WHen I started researching it they were right and I was wrong. But I didn't sit there sorry for myself, I went on learning until I knew how the system worked. THen I had experience with HACK tuning like the SAFC, eManage, etc, and managed to realize where those products are a benefit but NOT the right answer.
The MAFia is another variation on the theme.
Just so you understand, I never wanted a fight with you over this but YOU came here and began the insults. Sorry if I overreacted but YOU pushed the buttons. You don't like what I say then fine, say so. I feel very confident that the MAFia is an example of your hack tuning because it is a bandaid fix for an improperly sized MAF. In a situation where there is no other alternative and another MAF size or appropriate MAF isn't available, well you use what you've got.
To caveat that, if you are always designing yourself into a corner where you need to make compromises like that such as blow through mafs versus draw through, maf scaling devices, and extra high fuel pressure, then you should rethink your projects.
So as I said, go and use your MAFia. I really don't mind but don't come on insulting me because I don't agree. Your record of arguing and actually admitting you were ever wrong has been pretty slim....to none. In fact, I don't remember you EVER being conviced of anything other than your own opinions and yet you come here and accuse me of what appears to be your own same flaw.
So here's to a little humility.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
BTW guys, it's MAF.ia

NOT MAFia

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Pig headed turbo tom vs. pig headed turbo tom, weres the popcorn smiley thing

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
You keep bringing up my hack tuning and my hack blowthrough you keep avoiding the questions about the comments YOU are making and wont answer them

Then you say "maf scaling devices, and extra high fuel pressure" Who said anything about doing things this way , I sure dont tune that way, You dont have a clue as of yet what your talking about with the MAF.ia so how can you give an informed decision, You keep compairing it to an AFC controler and you couldnt be further from the truith but you have avoided all my questions so far so i dont see you addressing any of these

You like to call names "Mr.Blowthrough hack tuner" when you dont understand things just lake in the past your as pigheaded as you ever were so dont go calling the kettle black

Please address why you think im a hack tuner and what you dont like about a blowthrough other than you must not be able to get one to work

Tom

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Let me see if I can recap. It will scale the entire range of the maf down by lets say 40%. So at an idle of .08, the ECU will see .048. At WOT, instead of 5v the ECU will see 3v. Is this correct? So you would need a Diablo or SCT to scale the tranfer function down for better resolution. IIRC the OEM functions usually only go down to .05 which leaves no room for interpolation.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I haven't been keeping up with Tom since he left Focaljet, but while he started with draw thru maf setups he eventually switched to blow thru and now prefers tuning the Zetec that way. Is that right Tom?

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by Keyser:
Let me see if I can recap. It will scale the entire range of the maf down by lets say 40%. So at an idle of .08, the ECU will see .048. At WOT, instead of 5v the ECU will see 3v. Is this correct? So you would need a Diablo or SCT to scale the tranfer function down for better resolution. IIRC the OEM functions usually only go down to .05 which leaves no room for interpolation.

Keyser in most cases if you MAF is going hit 5 volts under WOT you will see much higher low load voltage than .8 from what i have seen you will be in the 1.2 to 1.6 range then bringing that down by 40% puts you right in the range, Also keep in mind that there is 7 settings so if you are say hitting 5 volts at 5800 and only need slightly more range than set it to say 2 = 20%

There is a few ways to make the needed changes , Yes you could change the MTF and do it that way the MAF will read all the way down to .005 , I know this because i have to run 96lb injectors in my Zetec and it idles and drives like a new Zetec

The best way i have found to work with the MAF.ia is to get the car running so it idles and part throttle corectly then go in and change the Load size of 1 Cyl, High/Low injector slopes by what ever setting you have the MAF.ia set to in most cases it will start right up and you will just have very small corrections to make this way your correction for load and fuel is all set and ready to go

Yes all my kits now are blowthrough its the only way to go

Tom

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Tom,

For someone who has been off and on this board just a few times you seem to think you know an awefull lot about me. I really think you've got me all wrong too but hey, your choice I guess. I suppose all the attention I've garnered from you should flatter me....but it doesn't.
Oh, Use the search function. It should answer all your questions of me or about me or my position. Otherwise I'm done with you. I got angry and stooped to your level once but I've regained my composure; no more.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
So I guess I didn't go down the list and fully explain why I thought the MAFia was no better than just another MAF scaling device.

My statement was incomplete; it is a "scaling device" that Diablo just went and did some of the homework on before hand so that you have some idea of how to select the settings and start tuning with it. This device seems similar to, but a bit more refined than say an SAFC, with maybe a nicer package, th at has some presets that help you get it into the ballpark faster(maybe). Will it save you money though? It is a toss-up to me whether it will decrease the time required to tune and whether it will offset the cost of the device.

No matter how you slice it, it is still altering the MAF signal before it goes into the PCM and then you still have to sit there and screw with the PCM values to get the thing to work. How is this so much different than just getting a differen't MAF for the car except that now you are using their guidelines to try to get it tuned in?
Not to mention that the statements I made earlier about this method actually decreasing the MAFs effective measuring resolution are still valid, and probably making it harder to tune idle/cruise in the process.

I fully agree that maf scaling devices are sometimes necessary and if you read back several pages I stated that early on....in the case where you could not get a properly sized factory MAF then I would use something like this. It really seems to me that Diablo was targeting the competition from a PRO-M like setup and this component paired with a factory MAF could do the same thing.
I personally can NOT see how this is superior to getting a Factory calibrated MAF with the correct airflow range and installing it with the downloaded factory MAF transfer function. BUt that's right, that is so old school isn't it?

With a scaling device you loose some ability to keep the idle voltage ranges where they were designed and you have to compensate for that by adjusting the MAFia settings, the pcm transfer function, injector slopes, basically a whole crap load of variables!

That method, as opposed to just plugging in 30 datapoints for a new factory MAF or even a PRO-M if they publish the data (Which the DO!) and you can immediately fire the car up and it will idle. Take it on a short drive and it learns how far off the commanded Lambda values the system really is, then it just trims the fuel until those values are reached.
At this point with a wideband you make gradual progressive runs to verify that it is keeping the air fuel in the correct range. Check fuel trims at key rpm points to see if your transfer function is off substantially, then adjust if necessary.
Unless you punched in the values wrong or your O2 sensors are bad, then it will be right close to the target air fuel. If you want to adjust your air fuel, and your fuel trims are all withing +/-10% then and all you have to do is adjust your commanded lambda values until you obtain the desired air/fuel ratio. A very simple process really.
This method takes no more than an hour or two and requires only a properly sized MAF and injectors along with the flashing/tuning software of your choice like: SCT, TWeecer, Diablo, etc.

-Idle quality is near perfect or not different than factory
-Cruise driveability is completely stock
-WOT air fuel safe and within the target range

and finally, this method yields the following advantages:

-Gas mileage city/highway is usually improved on near stock applications, or only slightly lower than stock with high power applications(on my 3L turbo it was 9% lower than a stock 2.5L engine,this with over twice the stock horsepower to the wheels)
-the ability to raise the boost up and down with no further tuning required.
-No additional electronics required on the engine, nothing but factory hardware to affect reliability.
-Save money through reduced hardware and tuning costs.

This is why I don't understand how you can say/imply that this product is the "cutting edge" of tuning while "we" tuning with properly sized factory hardware are in the past.
Except in rare cases, the MAF-ia (and other maf scaling devices) is not the most desirable method and IS what I call 'hack-tuning...to be used only in an emergency' type of device or as a crutch when you don't know how to properly size your maf and injectors.

So before you get all mad, realize I'm saying there are situations where this may present the best solution and in that case would NOT be hack tuning but the only proper method, and I will even go further and say that YOU would probably know the difference and have only used it in situations where it was necessary

Hopefully someone else knowledgeable in tuning can come on and share their feelings on it too so that people can see all viewpoints.

BTW, from the Diablosport website, a little more proof that this is actually more work than proper MAF/injecor sizing and tuning and IMHO should only be used if you have no properly sized MAF available:

Originally posted by Diablosport:
Tuning Notes

There are many factors that may affect your tuning. If you apply the correction ratio and the car does not run properly, you may have to modify the correction factor to get the desired results. Here are a few things to keep in mind.

1. When you do the original tune without the MAFia, reset the keep alive memory. Tune the car just like you normally would. Tune Wide Open Throttle as well, once you see 4.9 volts on your mass air flow meter, stop the pull. Your long terms will stay 0 until you turn the adaptive back on.

2. Load should be between 15-20 %.

3. Check your fuel trims and loads before the installation of the MAFia. Write them down.
Install the MAFia (apply correction factor to tune) and check them again
If your fuel trims are more negative and the load is larger, then try reducing the correction factor and reapply the new correction factor to your original tune.
If your fuel trims are more positive and the load is smaller, then try increasing the correction factor and reapply the new correction factor to your original tune.

4. Some vehicles may develop a high or erratic idle when the mafia is used on it�s higher settings. Lowering the target mass air voltages in the functions can be useful when trying to eliminate idle problems. Reduce the right hand side of the Target Mass Air Functions by the same correction factor as the MAFia setting you are using.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard