Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1539112 03/31/06 05:43 PM
S
Steeda. Offline OP
Captain Impound Boy
OP Offline
Captain Impound Boy
S
So im gonna quit my job becuase I'm like 99% im moving to vegas in June.

Question is do i wait for my Raise april 15th before i say something or after?

For those who don't know im the Lead tech for like the whole US for my company and would assume replacing me when already short handed is gonna be a task. So im gonna give them atleast a month notice.

Thoughts?

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
what does it matter if you quit before or after your raise? If your moving your moving....

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
S
Steeda. Offline OP
Captain Impound Boy
OP Offline
Captain Impound Boy
S
Well i think if i tell them Im quiting prior to the raise I won't get it for the last 2 months.

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
well two months isnt a long time, it would have to be a pretty big raise in that case than

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I would say don't rock the boat, this sounds like a good reference.

Now if you weren't definitely leaving, I've often told my boss I'm quitting because of wages and been given a raise or one-off bonus. In fact one place I worked I was earning double what some of my colleagues were because of this.

The risk is though, it all depends on how valuable THEY see you. I've known guys do it and simply be shown the door.

It's like the old saying, if you rock the boat make sure you're holding both the oars!

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
S
Steeda. Offline OP
Captain Impound Boy
OP Offline
Captain Impound Boy
S
Well im not leaving until memorial dayish unless i get this other job out there. soo im gonna stay working until i leave.

Question is to give them 2 months notice to find a suitable replacement? or to give them less notice as I only need to give them 2 weeks.

and if i give them 2 months i don't think i will get as big of a raise.

Right now im the Highest Paid Tech in the company and the Second highest paid employee in michigan

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
True dont burn any bridges. I would give them plenty of notice. You never know what can happen. You could possibly be working for the same people in a different company so leave on good terms always.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Wait til after April 15th.

Most people only give a 2 week notice, regardless of how difficult it would be to replace them.
If the employer needs the employee for more time, then they try to negotiate that.

Giving them a month's notice is plenty as far as I'm concerned.

Are your plans really that solid that you will definitely leave in June?
Waiting a little longer, rather than giving your notice right now, might be beneficial in case something comes up that prevents you from the Vegas plans.

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
S
Steeda. Offline OP
Captain Impound Boy
OP Offline
Captain Impound Boy
S
well i pretty much have to be there before june 12th as thats when school starts.

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
It's been my experience that if you give more than 2 weeks notice, the company finds an immediate replacement, and you are out the door. They won't/don't want you around for that period of time that you aren't in full work mode.... Wait for the raise, and tell them when you are 110% sure you are leaving. Not before, otherwise you may be home for Easter, instead of Memorial day !!! Remember, you are a "highest paid" employee. They can live with a few learning curve mistakes for less money on a newbie.

00 T-Red / Tan 17" FSVT Rims, Magnaflows, Alpine... For now #887 of 2150 12/13/99
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard