Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1538490 03/30/06 10:27 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Ok I need some opinions on this. I went to the track last night and as I launched I heard a small noise and then the car wouldnt go anywhere. I can get it into gear but when i step on the accelerator it simply wont move. I have a quaife lsd, centerforce clutch and autozone brand axles. What do you guys think has bit the dust. The clutch may have around 25kmiles on it. Axles around 5k miles. No liquid leaking, Axles still feel strong and in place. Thanks in advance. Not sure how long before I can get it into a shop. I would do it myself but working 7 days a week doesnt help. launched at 2k it jumped to redline and then i heard the pop. Motor still idles and runes fine. All gears go in smooth.

99 T-RED 3L SVT Apillar Guages How-To 3L 98 CSVT SF/MB 4 SALE 7500 obo pm me
#1538491 03/30/06 10:47 PM
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Do you have to push in the clutch for it to go into gear or does it grind if the clutch is out and you try to put it in gear? <--- if you don't have to push in pedal then clutch / pressure plate is bad and the clutch isnt engaging with flywheel.

Can you start the car in gear with the clutch pedal up and does it jerk while trying to start? <--- if it doesn't jerk then clutch disk / pressure plate it bad and the clutch is not disengaging from flywheel, but doesnt seem to be your problem

If it jerks and starts then try and push in clutch and shift. <--- if you can't shift then clutch / pressure plate is bad. Again flywheel isn't disengaging from clutch disk.

Is there any clutch pedal? <--- if you can't feel any resistance then clutch / pressure plate problems

Can you put the car in gear and then try to push it with engine off? <---- if it moves then clutch isn't engaging

Try those in every gear to make sure the gears in tranny aren't stripped out.

It sounds to me like you did something with the clutch or pressure plate and the disc isn't engaging the flywheel for some reason. If no liquid is pouring out then you shouldn't have a problem with internal transmission work.

If you pull the tranny and the clutch / pressure plate are OK then you may have busted the tranny internals and might want to crack it open and check it out.

#1538492 03/30/06 11:28 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by svttour:
Ok I need some opinions on this. I went to the track last night and as I launched I heard a small noise and then the car wouldnt go anywhere. I can get it into gear but when i step on the accelerator it simply wont move. I have a quaife lsd, centerforce clutch and autozone brand axles. What do you guys think has bit the dust. The clutch may have around 25kmiles on it. Axles around 5k miles. No liquid leaking, Axles still feel strong and in place. Thanks in advance. Not sure how long before I can get it into a shop. I would do it myself but working 7 days a week doesnt help. launched at 2k it jumped to redline and then i heard the pop. Motor still idles and runes fine. All gears go in smooth.

THANK your lucky stars if it's the diff ... at least it's under warranty

Do you hear ANY noises when you release the clutch ... any at all? I'm thinking that the inner splines of the half-axles may have shredded and you should at least hear some commotion. I advise you jack the front end up, support it on stands and then start the car in 1st gear and get out and look/listen at what's happening around the diff/half-axle area.

Last edited by fastcougar; 03/30/06 11:30 PM.
#1538493 03/30/06 11:32 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Almost forgot ... if it's the car in your sig, you might want to lower the asking price right about now

#1538494 03/31/06 12:45 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by fastcougar:
Almost forgot ... if it's the car in your sig, you might want to lower the asking price right about now

LMAO...sorry.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
#1538495 03/31/06 01:42 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I'd lay my money on the clutch if the axles feel strong and in place.
I'd think you'd feel lots of grinding and stuff with the diff bad if you broke it.
#1 guess - clutch sheared at the hub
#2 guess - sheared axle shaft

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1538496 03/31/06 09:37 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by warmonger:
I'd lay my money on the clutch if the axles feel strong and in place.
I'd think you'd feel lots of grinding and stuff with the diff bad if you broke it.
#1 guess - clutch sheared at the hub
#2 guess - sheared axle shaft

I had the same prob. some 4 years ago, and War. posted the same post and he was 100% correct. I though for sure it was my diff. But i actualy sheered the center hub. of the stock clutch. So the clutch would literaly freewheel on the output shaft.

98 csvt t-red.. sho-shop intake, b&m, fidanza, spec1 clutch, Torsen, DMD,optimized Y& TB, Brullen, rear strut bar,h&r's,17" konig traffik's. "I say what I mean and I do what i say"
#1538497 03/31/06 06:23 PM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
I wouldn't be too happy FastCougar, if it were the LSD. Yeah, Quaife will replace it, but damn that is a [censored] install.
My bet is (an no offense, but I am gonna rant) that your piece of crap CenterForce clutch took a [censored] on you. Mine had 3k miles on it and I glazed it good and it never was the same. I upgraded to a SpecIII and had no drivability issues (I was ~295FWHP / ~270TQ). You do have to put up with some clutch chatter, but that wasn't too bad.
The CenterForce clutch for the Contour/Cougar is not much more than stock. It is not worth the price. Go stock or SPEC or whatever, just not CF.

SVT Parts For Sale!PM Me. 2006 M6 Cyclone Gray GTO 1995 Mazda Protege Commuter Special 93 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide I'm A TROLL Now!~
#1538498 03/31/06 07:31 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I was more so referring to the fact that Quiafe prices just went up and it has a lifetime warranty ... install is another bag of worms and will cost you nicely if you don't/can't install yourself. Now imagine adding $700+ on-top of your install costs

#1538499 03/31/06 11:56 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Thanks for the replies guys. I will look into all the issues tommorow morning and post some results.

No its not the car in my sig either. That is a whole seperate vehicle.

I know that quaife has a lifetime warranty but do they still endorse the warranty if you bought it from a person instead of a store. For instance classifieds or something in that sort. Just incase it may be the diff.

When the flat bed pulled the car off of the track i did hear some noises but I thought it was liquid gushing out of a gashed transmission. When i got out of the car there were no cracks or leaks. I will look in the little viewing area where the atf tube comes out of the tranny and see if I see and clutch pieces lying around.

Will post something tommorow afternoon with results.

99 T-RED 3L SVT Apillar Guages How-To 3L 98 CSVT SF/MB 4 SALE 7500 obo pm me
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard