Print Thread
#1538420 03/30/06 08:55 PM
B
Blue11 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Hey everyone, just wanted to see if any of you out there would be able to help out. I'm looking for a new job, something in accounting, entry level. Just finishing up my Busines diploma from Sheridan, and going to continue for my CGA. I am currently working as a Logistics Administrator (trust me, the tittle is better than what it is...lol). I have been applying through HRDC and am constantly checking the wanted ads.
Do any of you guys out there know of any place that is looking to hire? I live in Mississauga, would travel to Burlington and North York for a job.
Thanks guys.

1999 Contour SE 2.5 Duratec Stock, can't wait to do some mods!
#1538421 03/31/06 01:06 AM
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Aside from HRDC and want-ads, try the usual website places like Monster.ca or Workopolis.

If you're finishing up at Sheridan, i'm sure they also have some sort of job back as well.

Richard | Focused 24-7 2002 Focus ZTS...+275,000km and beyond! Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | SVTOA Redline Rendezvous
#1538422 03/31/06 04:08 AM
I
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I

Was your course a Co-Op? Do you have any work experience in your field?

'98 Contour 2.5L, 5-Speed, 100% stock '85 Porsche 928 5-speed, Supercharged & Intercooled 12.87sec @ 109mph
#1538423 03/31/06 02:33 PM
B
Blue11 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Imo000:

Was your course a Co-Op? Do you have any work experience in your field?

No it's not, I am doing it through night school. As for experience, a little bit. Worked for a month at Sobeys as a Retail Accountant, was too much for me at the time. I'd like something a little less overwhelming. I was doing the accounting for 12 stores at the time, everything from sales and cash reports to taxes, bill payments, and financial papers.

1999 Contour SE 2.5 Duratec Stock, can't wait to do some mods!
#1538424 04/01/06 05:24 AM
I
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I
The Region Of Peel always has new openings. They post every Tuesday. The accounting department at the Region is large, and I'm sure they are looking for either contract or permanent positions. The Regional HQ is in Brampton (Int. of Dixie and Queen).

Since I'm in the Traffic dept., I only deal with the accountants on a semi annual basis (budget time) and that is usually somehwat indirrect. Regardless, have a look at the job posting at Peel and check it regularly. Maybe you will find something.

'98 Contour 2.5L, 5-Speed, 100% stock '85 Porsche 928 5-speed, Supercharged & Intercooled 12.87sec @ 109mph
#1538425 04/02/06 03:15 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
When I was in a similar situation to you I signed up with all the area Accounting temporary agencies (such as Robert Half).
I did a lot of crap, working ledgers in companies for a couple of months, but when you have places like Arthur Anderson (now something like Accenture) you get to snoop around the 'internals' board and pickup some very good oppurtunities.
Not only that but after so long with an agency you build a good rapport, prove your worth, and then they begin to work for you!

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
#1538426 04/02/06 09:00 PM
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Christian:
When I was in a similar situation to you I signed up with all the area Accounting temporary agencies (such as Robert Half).
I did a lot of crap, working ledgers in companies for a couple of months, but when you have places like Arthur Anderson (now something like Accenture) you get to snoop around the 'internals' board and pickup some very good oppurtunities.
Not only that but after so long with an agency you build a good rapport, prove your worth, and then they begin to work for you!

As far as I recall, a good number of former Arthur Andersen folks were drafted over to Deloitte and other firms. Most of the time, outside major accounting firms will be only in a company for year-end purposes or some other reason. A lot of those times, the people in there might be the freshly graduated folks looking to earn hours for their CA designations but are also given the worst hours (i.e. long).

While you're applying for jobs, keep in mind of what your ultmate goal is with your designation. There's not much use in having a designation unless you can actually use the knowledge that you have gained from your courses. At least by applying with larger companies, there is a greater chance you can find placements in other departments. You might also want to contact companies directly to see what their staffing is like.

One other thing is maybe you should hook up with a student association from your faculty or one run by the designation group. They may have a huge network of leads that you won't get from the papers alone.

Richard | Focused 24-7 2002 Focus ZTS...+275,000km and beyond! Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | SVTOA Redline Rendezvous

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard