Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Learned patience the hard way
OP Offline
B
Who here has been successful in datalogging with their Xcal2? My main issue is that I want to see which cylinder is misfiring at random times. It's not setting a hard DTC code so I have no idea how to find out which cylinder it is at this point. The CEL flashes during the misfire, but never stays on. Is there a way to pull this info out using the Xcal?

2nd question- I can get the datalog to work on the unit itself, but can only pull up the last 90 seconds of information when I download it onto the computer. Is this all I get or can I get more information somehow? I had trouble getting my laptop to hook up to the Xcal for datalogging so that's the reason I'm just using the Xcal and then downloading it to my desktop computer. I can retry the laptop if that's the only way I can get a log for more than 90 seconds.

I tried posting this over at the SCT forums and that's about useless!

Thanks,
Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
On device logging is limited to the last 90sec I beleive. My issue is all spark data is usless since it's in measures of thousands. I've asked numerous times for a converstion formula so I can log in the meantime while they are working out the problem but have had no repsonse.

I'm going to dig out my old laptop and see if I can get some useful numbers from it for when I go to the dyno next but I have a feeling it will be too slow to keep up with the data rate.

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Who here has been successful in datalogging with their Xcal2? My main issue is that I want to see which cylinder is misfiring at random times. It's not setting a hard DTC code so I have no idea how to find out which cylinder it is at this point. The CEL flashes during the misfire, but never stays on. Is there a way to pull this info out using the Xcal?

I don't use the Exal for diagnostics but I am a driveability tech for ford so I may be able to help. With a generic "scanner" you simply won't get anywhere near the amount of PIDs that you will get with a WDS or NGS. For intermittent, random, misses I find that it is best to diagnose these with a live scope (I use a Counselor II) and have the cylinders lined up in a parade pattern makeing it easy to spot a miss. I realize that not everyone has an oscilloscope or power graphing meter so I will try my best to help you diagnose this without it...

Does the Xcal have a datastream function (or does it only pull codes)? If so drive it around untill your MIL flashes and look for pids or codes to appear. Once again I am not familiar with using the Exal for diagnosis so please bear with me...

Ignition moduels, coils, etc simply do not go bad too often on Fords. However I've seen several symptoms similar to what you're describing because of a bad spark plug. If you knew what cylinder was missing I'd just tell you to replace it and go from there. If your really ambitous, you could pull out all the plugs and visually inspect the plugs and wires for arcing. You can usually see a telltale sign of this. Also make sure the porcelin is not broken. It sometimes cracks around the metal. Try and twist it with your hand.

Also make sure that you put some dielectric gease in the boot. Moisture in the boot will also cause a missfire. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use some anti sieze on the threads as well.

When is the miss most noticible?

Note

Engine speed

Engine temp

Vehicle speed

This can help out emmensly.

From what I understand it sounds like you have an ignition problem. Either plugs or wires from what I'd guess.

Good luck

Mike

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
B
OP Offline
B
Here is the link to the problem I'm having.

As you can see, I've pretty much covered all of my bases on the ignition side which is why I'm scratching my head at this point. The only thing I haven't done is use di-electric grease on the wires because the install instructions for the magnecores specifically say not to use it. I'll go back and re-read the install instructions, but considering it happened with stock wires and replacement wires, I'm a bit skeptical of those.

Thanks,
Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Here is the link to the problem I'm having.

As you can see, I've pretty much covered all of my bases on the ignition side which is why I'm scratching my head at this point. The only thing I haven't done is use di-electric grease on the wires because the install instructions for the magnecores specifically say not to use it. I'll go back and re-read the install instructions, but considering it happened with stock wires and replacement wires, I'm a bit skeptical of those.

Thanks,
Rick

Wonder why Magnecor dosen't want you to use any dielectric grease.

I read your post and it sounds like you were pretty through in diagnosis. The watter bottle is a good trick to use but if it is down in the head arcing the bottle probably won't pick it up. What you can do is blow off the plugs and wires to eliminate any moisture.

IF it is not an electrical problem then you probably have a lean missfire. I'd be suspecious of this because you say that it clears up with increased engine rpm. I was going to tell you to check the EGR but it seems like you already have. The only other thing that comes to mind is the intake gaskets. They have a tendency to leak. Also check the PCV system for leaks as well (look for INTERNAL leaks from the PCV system also!). You can use some carb cleaner and spray around suspect areas. Have a fire extinguisher hand just in case... If you can, take your exal and look at your fuel trims while doing so.

Check for a leak before we go any farther.

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I've done a limited amount of datalogging, but I've only had the unit for a couple of weeks, and I've been really busy. Anyway, I couldn't get the Xcal2 to log with my laptop for more than 19 seconds or so. I read on the SCT Forums that others were having similar problems. I e-mailed Ryan and he sent me LiveLink v 2.3.8, and asked me to try that. I did, and I was able to log up to 302 seconds worth of data. The other logs ranged from ~17 seconds to ~114 seconds. I did 8-10 logs with the new version. I e-mailed back that it was better, but still limited in logging time.

A couple of times I had problems with the laptop communicating with the Xcal2, but I just tried reopening the SCT software and disconnecting and reconnecting the Xcal2 from the car and the laptop in different order until it worked. I still need to play with that and find out if there's some proper order to connect them in. Or maybe just RTFM.

I have not tried datalogging with just the Xcal2 by itself.

I've not seen much activity from Contour owners at the SCT Forums. I don't know if they/we are hanging out somewhere else, or if nobody's doing any tuning yet with the Xcal2s that were purchased recently in the group buy. Unless everyone's just tunin' and not talkin'.

Marty

98 SVT, Black, No. 786, May 7, 1997. K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, Big Gulp(R)-Sized Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 147K+ Miles "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Mind PMing me the download info for LL 2.3.8?

Thanks

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by timeless420:
Mind PMing me the download info for LL 2.3.8?

Thanks

me too please. The tech at SCT was supposed to email it to me but I never got it. I also would like to log more than 8 seconds of data on the lappy

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
How do I send an attachment to a PM? I looked at that last night and didn't see a button or anything for it.

Marty

98 SVT, Black, No. 786, May 7, 1997. K&N, MSDS, Xcal2, Tint, Antennas, Big Gulp(R)-Sized Cupholder, Rear Dome Lt., Koni/Eibach, DMD, Pre-98 Sails, Brake Cooling Deflectors, Sidemarkers, Etc. 147K+ Miles "Get the Door - It's GrooveNerd!"
B
OP Offline
B
I assume you would just PM them your email address or they PM you theirs and then send the attachment that way.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard