Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
ymicz Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
Well, exhaust is out of my picture now, my stock clutch has started slipping badly, especially high R's. So im getting my clutch/flywheel replaced. Right now I'm looking at a Spec Stage 1 and a Fridanza flywheel, is this a good choice? I'd like some input. My other choice for a flywheel is the clutchmasters aluminum flywheel, but it costs significantly more. Share your expertise!

'99 SilFro SE V6 MTX Alpine CDA-9833, 12" L7, Pioneer 6x8's, Fidanza Short Throw, K&N Drop-In, Spec1 Clutch/Flywheel, WR Headers / Y-Pipe, TBz Cat, PRT Roll Resistors Mods in queue: Trubendz Res. Magnaflow Ex. SVT UIM/LIM/Opt.TB
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
SPEC Stage 1/ Fidanza or Spec Stage 1/Spec flywheel

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ymicz:
Spec Stage 1 and a Fridanza flywheel

You said it perfect

Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by RawBurt:
Originally posted by ymicz:
Spec Stage 1 and a Fridanza flywheel

You said it perfect

That's the same setup I have. I'd personally go with the SPEC, as I believe they balance them together, which cuts down on the clutch chatter in neutral.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Oh yes, the chatter is unbarable... So make sure you have a loud stereo!

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I just had a spec stg2 and a fidanza flywheel put in and I get no chatter.Go figure?

99 SVT/silver frost....with "some" mods SVT FLYWHEEL 4 SALE!!! PM me
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B

i dont think its that bad. I honestly cant even hear it unless im listening for it, but maybe thats just because im used to it.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
Y
ymicz Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by brandonsvt99:
I just had a spec stg2 and a fidanza flywheel put in and I get no chatter.Go figure?

hey, how is the stage 2? I was looking at that its only like $40 more and it says EXCELLENT wear characteristics instead of just very good.

'99 SilFro SE V6 MTX Alpine CDA-9833, 12" L7, Pioneer 6x8's, Fidanza Short Throw, K&N Drop-In, Spec1 Clutch/Flywheel, WR Headers / Y-Pipe, TBz Cat, PRT Roll Resistors Mods in queue: Trubendz Res. Magnaflow Ex. SVT UIM/LIM/Opt.TB
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W

You can't hear clutch chatter!

You must be mistaking it for "GEAR ROLLOVER", something that also goes along with stiffly sprung clutch hubs.

Gear rollover makes a rattly noise and is somewhat noticeable on mildly sprung clutches like the stock SVT clutch, and really noticeable on the stiffly sprung or solid hub clutches. Gear rollover is caused by gear lash or basically the teeth on the gears lightly banging together as the engine rpm varies ever so slightly at idle. You won't hear it under load, only in neutral with the pedal out (engaged).

Clutch chatter is 'Felt' rather than heard as a shuddering vibration that permeates throughout the car. Slipping a Hi performance clutch incorrectly can cause it and some clutches to do it no matter how well you slip them. Some clutches with unevenly surfaced flywheels will develop clutch chatter as well.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by warmonger:

You can't hear clutch chatter!

You must be mistaking it for "GEAR ROLLOVER", something that also goes along with stiffly sprung clutch hubs.

Gear rollover makes a rattly noise and is somewhat noticeable on mildly sprung clutches like the stock SVT clutch, and really noticeable on the stiffly sprung or solid hub clutches. Gear rollover is caused by gear lash or basically the teeth on the gears lightly banging together as the engine rpm varies ever so slightly at idle. You won't hear it under load, only in neutral with the pedal out (engaged).

Clutch chatter is 'Felt' rather than heard as a shuddering vibration that permeates throughout the car. Slipping a Hi performance clutch incorrectly can cause it and some clutches to do it no matter how well you slip them. Some clutches with unevenly surfaced flywheels will develop clutch chatter as well.

Excellent descriptions.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard