Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1535707 03/27/06 03:33 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Pulled into a driveway yesterday and pulled the parking brake lever. There was a loud "BANG." Now, the lever is easier to pull up. I was surprised (and somewhat reieved), however, that the parking brake still seemed to be working. Any thoughts?

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#1535708 03/27/06 03:37 PM
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
that is what mine did. then it broke about a week later.. that was 2 years ago. now i just don't park on hills. still no e-brake just been lazy..

G/f's black 99se sport 5 speed 2 1/2 test pipe-custom cat back 3 single tip cai with kn3530 safc optimized tb 8mm plug wires spec stage 1 clutch svt front bumper
#1535709 03/27/06 05:44 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
sounds like a cable gave way. There is one cable from your handbrake which turns into two cables taht go to each rear caliper behind the headsheild above your exhaust. I think that's where your problem lies. Sounds like one of the two cables is still working, so you have 1 rear caliper actually breaking, the other is doing nothing now.

#1535710 03/27/06 06:38 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Only one was grabbing well before anyway....sounds like I might have a caliper and an e-brak cable to add to the laundry list of spring repairs.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#1535711 03/27/06 10:54 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
sounds like a cable gave way. There is one cable from your handbrake which turns into two cables taht go to each rear caliper behind the headsheild above your exhaust. I think that's where your problem lies. Sounds like one of the two cables is still working, so you have 1 rear caliper actually breaking, the other is doing nothing now.

good idea, but i doubt thats what it is. Sound like the cable on the handbreak assembly (the part you grab) came off the "rails" that it lies on, The cable runs around a drum looking thing and then goes down into the underbody, my old one snapped and came off the rails.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P

Was talking to a guy at the dealer I frequent for parts, and he said that it was "most likely" that one of the rear cables went. Ford sells the pair in a kit.

Now the big question: Is there any way to replace the cables without lowering the exhaust and dropping the ehat shield?

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I've been able to move the headsheild out of there without dropping the exhaust system. Just be patient a bit and maneuver/bend it out and repeat for re-install.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Sweet! That'll make things a lot easier.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I've been able to move the headsheild out of there without dropping the exhaust system. Just be patient a bit and maneuver/bend it out and repeat for re-install.

yes you can do that but it is a hell of alot easier to drop the exhaust, all you need to do is drop it a few inches, granted when I did this last it was on my zetec so it has a flex pipe but we didn't have to drop it far and we had no issues getting the new cable in and attached to the equilizer bar

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
If I do drop the exhaust, is it possible to just take it off the hangers and support it, but a bit lower than usual? Or do I have to remove bolts to do it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard