Ryan Trollin!
#1535649 03/28/06 04:49 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by robertchevy:
Okay people gas prices arent even that high.

People say man back in the 60s it was .20 a gallon. Okay .20 back then equals just over $2 nowadays. So what are you bitchen about, its slighty above inflation so what big freaking deal.

People make a big deal out of nothing all the time.

We have to pay what they say, I dont even look at the price, just pull up fill it up, pay and leave.

I feel sorry for people such as yourself who don't question why things cost X amount. I probably wouldn't cares as much if I didn't see the 'spike' in prices in the last 2-3 years. When I started driving 12 years ago, premium was 1.25 or so a gallon. When I bought my L in 04, premium was 1.90 or so a gallon. And now its 2.65 or so a gallon. In the relatively short time I've been driving thats a helluva jump. I understand the world has changed dramatically in the past 5 or so years, but it seemed unreasonable to me. Sigma has provided me a wealth of information on the economical side of things that I didn't previously know.

Bottomline, don't be a lemming and just go along with 'cause.'

Ryan Trollin!
#1535650 03/28/06 05:51 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
I'm a little torn on this one.

One one hand, I have a hard time sympathizing with the oil companies. They are enjoying record profits (yeah I know the finance work behind it, the average layman doesn't though) and they sure don't seem interested in exploring other sources of energy, even renewable ones like biodiesel or Ethanol. They seem pretty content with just pumping the oil out of the desert all the while they know that petrolium products have a largely inelastic demand.

On the other hand, if the consumer was really that displeased with the prices they would make more of an effort to cut back, perhaps selling their big pickups and SUV's in favor of something more economical, possibly demanding more small cars and diesels.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
#1535651 03/28/06 05:52 AM
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by ODC:
Originally posted by JaTo:
The banking industry on average rakes in 15-20% margins, so just because it's not a horribly capital-intensive industry, they get a pass and energy companies do not? It doesn't take a fraction of the sunk costs or capital to run the largest bank in the world vs. the largest oil company, so due to the "nature of the beast" the oil companies are labeled "evil"?

Hey, I told Royal bank of Canada, along with their 1+bn profits and their $10/mo charges to [censored] off and switched to a no-fee credit union. Couldn't be happier

If you don't like the cost of gas, buy a more economical car or get a diesel.

man, i bank with TD canada trust and theyre hiking their plans and rates april 1st. Thing is I like the bank and well for my plan the costs wont go up much if at all, but I really hate how they can just go and raise rates. I mean, its like big oil, they make more money quarter after quarter, and the even crappier deal is that Hepcoe was bought out by some Meridian or something, maybe ill have a look into what theyre all about...

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
#1535652 03/28/06 02:16 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
The problem isn�t so much of how expensive gas is today versus 40 years ago. It�s the rate at which the price of gasoline increases. The price per gallon changed just here in North Texas in a week or so time by almost 50 cents. So I just went from paying about $30 per fill up to about $37 per fill up in the Contour. That�s a significant increase and I may have to fill up 2-3 times per week. It�s the volatility of the market that drives me crazy. Especially when you�re constantly checking the news for good reasons why gas has gone up. During this latest price jump, I kept hearing that gasoline reserves had gone up over the last seven or so weeks and is at a two year high yet the price at the pump started rising. They even had stated that demand was lower than expected but the price per gallon of gas just kept creeping up.

Obviously the cost of oil affects the cost of just about everything in this society and probably one of the main reasons why oil companies get scrutinized. It not just increases at the pump but increases in the purchase goods and services. Now all of sudden the little MARGIN of reserve I had for savings and other expenditures just got PUMPED right out of my pocket. Especially when gas jumps 27% in a week. We all can probably expect $3 fuel by the summer. When I started driving almost 17 years ago, that jump in prices for the summer driving season may have been 10 to 15 cents not a dollar!!!

Curtis 3L 'Oval Port' 98 Black SVT 180.5HP/178lbft '03 Black Sport Trac
#1535653 03/28/06 11:54 PM
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
loggerbomb: look into credit unions. You'll find one that offers no fee banking or very low fee banking. Also any profits is distributed to your local community so you help out there.

Originally posted by SVTNupe:
The problem isn�t so much of how expensive gas is today versus 40 years ago. It�s the rate at which the price of gasoline increases. The price per gallon changed just here in North Texas in a week or so time by almost 50 cents. So I just went from paying about $30 per fill up to about $37 per fill up in the Contour. That�s a significant increase and I may have to fill up 2-3 times per week. It�s the volatility of the market that drives me crazy. Especially when you�re constantly checking the news for good reasons why gas has gone up. During this latest price jump, I kept hearing that gasoline reserves had gone up over the last seven or so weeks and is at a two year high yet the price at the pump started rising. They even had stated that demand was lower than expected but the price per gallon of gas just kept creeping up.

Obviously the cost of oil affects the cost of just about everything in this society and probably one of the main reasons why oil companies get scrutinized. It not just increases at the pump but increases in the purchase goods and services. Now all of sudden the little MARGIN of reserve I had for savings and other expenditures just got PUMPED right out of my pocket. Especially when gas jumps 27% in a week. We all can probably expect $3 fuel by the summer. When I started driving almost 17 years ago, that jump in prices for the summer driving season may have been 10 to 15 cents not a dollar!!!

Im sorry to say, but if the rise in gas prices uses up all your disposable income left then you're living beyond your means.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard