Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
G Stone Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I guess this could go in Troubleshooting too but I think it may fit better here. If you've been reading some of my previous posts there is a drain on my battery somewhere in my car. Got my battery tested again today and the guy looked at my system battery wire (4 guage I think) and he said that may be it. About maybe 8 inches from the battery terminal down the wire there are burn spots on the wire. Alot of the wire looks almost a brown from burns. He said if I replaced that that it would prolly fix the problem or a battery drain. I guess I shoulda noticed this earlier but would burns in the wire effect this? I think it would and I may have just answered my own question but I know someone will reassure me. TIA.

Champagne 1995 Ford Contour LX R.I.P. - 7/11/06 V6 2.5L 24v DOHC Oversized System
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Yes... Burn marks in your power wire is bad... you could just tape it up though.. and make sure the amp is shutting off too.... so the remote is not a constant

97 V6 ATX 20,000 Miles alpine cda 9811 Alpine MRV-F357 hifonics brutus BX2000D 2 Kicker L7 15 I NEED GREY LEATHER DOOR PANELS!!!!!! Flip out monitor PS2 Spr-175a SPR-69LP SPR-57LS 60 Ft EDEAD
G
G Stone Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by contourdude:
Yes... Burn marks in your power wire is bad... you could just tape it up though.. and make sure the amp is shutting off too.... so the remote is not a constant

If I taped the wire with electrical tape or something that would help? Is it that power is escaping through the burn marks in the wires? The amps are shutting off so the remote is not a constant. I have some 2 gauge at home I think, is that too big? If not I might just use that.

Champagne 1995 Ford Contour LX R.I.P. - 7/11/06 V6 2.5L 24v DOHC Oversized System
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
is the power wire insulation completely worn away where the wire strands are visible? what is that part of the wire rubbing or touching? do u get a batt light lighting up on your gauge cluster?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Brown marks on the inside of the wire can also mean a little bit of water got in there. Replace the wire and see what happens, shouldn't be very expensive.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
G
G Stone Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
The insulation around the wire is still in good shape, no noticeable holes or anything. Just noticeable burn marks on the insulation and I'm guessing on the wire. I would say that is a safe assumption. The wire is kinda sitting on top of the battery, not touching anything that could be hurting it. The wire is only burnt looking on the battery side of the fuse holder. On the other side of the fuse holder it looks like new. No battery light. I just might pick up some of the wire and splice it onto the original. I won't be able to do it till next weekend prolly. Will taping up that part of the wire help or is my only option for now to replace that chunk?

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Maybe the wire is corroded inside, if it's got clear insulation. You should install a whole new wire, temporarily taping or use split loom it will make sure it's not shorting. It might be the wire is poorly connected to the fuseholder, and heats up, causing the discoloration.

G
G Stone Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Would it help if I got a new fuse holder and then installed it closer to the battery terminal? I may just get another fuse holder and then tap all the wiring in. Thanks for all your help so far.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
If it looks deteriorated, go for it. Make sure it is secure and insulated from the car body.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I just want to say that my trunk light always stayed on (for some strange reason) so if I didnt drive my car for a day, the battery would die. Check that. I have NO idea why it never went off when the trunk was closed, but I just removed the lightbulb and problem solved

1999 SE White AVH-P6500DVD Infinity Reference 6500CS Pioneer 5x7s Punch 360a2 Punch 500a2 Adire Tempest in a custom sealed 3.4cuft box Modded Xbox Still need Midnight Cloth Headrests... and if somebody has fold down rear seats....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard