Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jd2-98s Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Broke catalytic converter stud. Still have some meat left on it, so hoping I can untread the rest. Was dropping it to do an oil pan replacement. It is an after market walker exhaust. You think I'll have a hard time tracking a stud down or should this be a pretty common thing. I never broke one before

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
J
jd2-98s Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Fixed it but was a PITA Not too bad, but goofed. Cut the stud flush with the mounting surface (no problem) drilled out the center with a small bit (pilot hole) again no problem. Then went to the bigger bit (not thinking) and drilled it out, however too big. Taped it with a 7/16th 14c thread, put a 7/16th 14c thread bolt in, cut the head off, had a stud after cleaning up the thread with a die. Figured ok good. Went to put it on the car and NOPE. Bolt didn't want to go threw the hole on the manifold. The hole is over sized a bit for the 3/8th (well about 3/8th) studs used, the 7/16 just need a bit more.. So said F this and just drill the hole on the manifold (didn't take much meat off at all) and all said and done. But funny how the easy part turned into the project and the oil pan (thinking it would be a PITA because of subframe blocking 2 bolts) turned out to be ok. Snapped some pics...

Old nasty oil pan, dented, have no idea how.

Figured not reusing this pan so a heavy hammer should pop it off.

You can see here it was pushed up somewhat.

And the new pan is on.

Yes I did clean the surface first the 2 bolts on the passenger side, have really no access. I used a little 8mm wrench knowing that they usally have very little tq on them I was able to remove them and reinstall them with out lifting the engine (trust me I would rather lift the engine for clearing) but pulled it off somehow.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Thanks for the pictures. I'm looking at having to do this fairly soon as well.

Jon

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard