Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Kokopellian:
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Originally posted by deftoned989:
In my opinion, racism (to name one of MANY problems with societies as a whole) could easily be eliminated (as far as humanly possible) through education.

Low levels of education = More competition to survive = Finding a scapegoat for your circumstances

If we could only realize the importance of education and pump a shatload more money into school systems across the nation we'd be much better off, but oh well, thank god for bureaucracy

Ignorance is the enemy, not individual people!

You have to put forth effort to be educated. You can pump all the money you want into it, but if the students don't want it, its not going to sink in.

BTW, education is the answer to 90% of the world's problems...

Effort and $$$ unfortunately.

Sorry...no money...busy fighting a war somewhere

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
This thread is raising awareness as we all type.

This has been one of the most personally interesting threads in quite some time.

I'm not sure I can easily clarify my thoughts on reparations and going back to Africa in a succinct manner for this forum. But I'll try. It appears to me that if one is wanting money in repayment for an ancestor being unfairly ripped from their place of origin, then yes, compensate them for it and return them to that place of origin where they would be, if not for the fact that the ancestor was removed.

I just believe that the logic behind the call for reparations is flawed. By that reasoning, we all need to pack up and move back to Europe, Asia, and Africa and let the Native Americans have the country back. But that's not realistic.

Good discussion! Let's keep it going.

I hope to have the chance to meet you sometime at one of the Keller's mini-meets.

Thanks IRing. You're right, the logic and movement behind reparations is flawed. I hope to get the chance to meet you at a Keller's meet as well.

This is a good discussion. I'm actually pretty amazed at the number of responses. Keep it going everyone.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
In my opinion, racism (to name one of MANY problems with societies as a whole) could easily be eliminated (as far as humanly possible) through education.

Low levels of education = More competition to survive = Finding a scapegoat for your circumstances

If we could only realize the importance of education and pump a shatload more money into school systems across the nation we'd be much better off, but oh well, thank god for bureaucracy

You have to put forth effort to be educated. You can pump all the money you want into it, but if the students don't want it, its not going to sink in.

Speaking as someone who teaches in a high school in the ghetto that is 97% African American...
We are called on the carpet DAILY about the "acheivement gap" between blacks and whites. I have seen very intelligent black students...and white students that are dumb as dirt. I personally try to teach every student that comes into my class, but I can not DO IT FOR THEM. Too many of my students respond with...."I'm not copying these math notes, that's too much work." WTF? These are both white and black students saying this. What I want to know is how anyone, of any race, expects to succeed without working hard at it? Too many people look for the easy way out, or just want to do enough to get by, regardless of race. So what does the eduacation system do....blame the teachers, instead of the students that only come to school once a week to sell their drugs. We currently have about a 70% attendance rate. That means, on any given day, 30% of my students are not here. So when they don't acheive, why is that my fault? Sorry for the rant, but seeing students throw away one of their only keys to a good future (education) really bothers me.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by getsum111:

Speaking as someone who teaches in a high school in the ghetto that is 97% African American...
We are called on the carpet DAILY about the "acheivement gap" between blacks and whites. I have seen very intelligent black students...and white students that are dumb as dirt. I personally try to teach every student that comes into my class, but I can not DO IT FOR THEM. Too many of my students respond with...."I'm not copying these math notes, that's too much work." WTF? These are both white and black students saying this. What I want to know is how anyone, of any race, expects to succeed without working hard at it? Too many people look for the easy way out, or just want to do enough to get by, regardless of race. So what does the eduacation system do....blame the teachers, instead of the students that only come to school once a week to sell their drugs. We currently have about a 70% attendance rate. That means, on any given day, 30% of my students are not here. So when they don't acheive, why is that my fault? Sorry for the rant, but seeing students throw away one of their only keys to a good future (education) really bothers me.

Yeah man, that sucks. My best friend was a teacher and he felt the same way. Teachers do get the shaft. Especially one's that seem to care like you do.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
I suddenly feel the need to rent Dangerous Minds

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
On January 1, 1863, Abraham Lincoln was about to buy his first presidential slave. Chuck Norris showed up and round house kicked his beard. Out fell the Emancipation Proclamation. Chuck Norris cares about black people.

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
That's a movie. Real life doesn't usually turn out quite so nice for my students. But I keep trying. Part of the Lunatic Fringe.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by getsum111:
That's a movie. Real life doesn't usually turn out quite so nice for my students. But I keep trying. Part of the Lunatic Fringe.

I know. But it's a good movie. Great soundtrack too.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
With that said. It's wild to me is that we Americans are so quick to judge and point fingers at other countries histories (The Holocaust), but we conveniently "forget" our own stink.

That's the thing ain't it. It's HISTORY. As in, 'in the past'. I think it is not only right, but our duty to do what we can to point out abuses that are happening NOW. Yes, we've had our transgressions, but that does not mean we should turn a blind eye when such things continue to happen elsewhere in the world.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
With that said. It's wild to me is that we Americans are so quick to judge and point fingers at other countries histories (The Holocaust), but we conveniently "forget" our own stink.

That's the thing ain't it. It's HISTORY. As in, 'in the past'. I think it is not only right, but our duty to do what we can to point out abuses that are happening NOW. Yes, we've had our transgressions, but that does not mean we should turn a blind eye when such things continue to happen elsewhere in the world.

Forget your history, forget your past, forget where you come from..... You won't know where you're going.

Focus on the future here and now, sure.... however, history is what defines us. We learn from our mistakes, transgressions, and accomplishments all the same. Our history is the main reason race relations are what they are today.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard