Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I'm in the market for new shocks/structs/springs, and I was wondering what you guys would recommend. After looking at the car, I came to the conclusion that the previous owner didn't even NOTICE the previous recalls, one of which is the recall on springs. Here's the link.

http://www.recall-warnings.com/auto-content-4419.html

Now knowing that this is one of the nine things that need to be done, what do you guys recommend for me to purchase? I'm tight on cash, and haven't driven the car in a while now.

Help please!

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
The recall on pertains to broken or fractured springs, it's not an across the board recall. Other than that, it's completely preference on look, price, and ride characteristics. Almost every combination available has been reviewed, so take a few min to search and you should get opinions on each.

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I'm only looking for OEM parts. Since it is still a relatively low-mileage vehicle, I can still sell for a good profit (Blue Book, private party for mine, a little over $5000 ). I just want to get it into a sellable condition by firstly, getting all of the recalled items in order.

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
5k?! LMFAO!!!!!!! It books for about $3600 in excellent condition with 50k miles. You'll be lucky to get that.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Perform a search for value struts. Bill Jenkins had some very reasonably price stockers - sup'm like $30 a corner for the struts & you can pick up springs all day long for around $200 for performance like BAT, or go with OEM.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Valued struts are 36 a piece for the fronts and you you can't get the valued ones for the rears now. So oem from Bill rears are about 62 bucks each.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The NHTS recall information doesn't match exactly to the manufactures recalls. To see exactly what recalls are on your car, get someone to run an OASIS report for you. Then you will get the exact information specific to your VIN.

There are two "recalls" involving the front springs. The first one was (IIRC) only for cars originally sold in certain states (with high content of road salt in winter) and involved installing shields over the springs to contain the spring if it does break to keep from puncturing the tire. For the most part, the shields fit poorly and generated rattles so they were often removed by the owners.

The second "recall" was really an "owner notification program". It is basically an extended warranty should the spring break allowing for the broken spring to be replaced. Owner Notification Programs usually have expiration dates/milage.

Neither recall applied to the SVT.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Big Jim:

SOB! The 98 E0 suspension I'm using on another 98 has a broken spring. So much for the idea of getting free springs.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by Big Jim:

SOB! The 98 E0 suspension I'm using on another 98 has a broken spring. So much for the idea of getting free springs.

thats weird I remember hearing when SVT had his car that he took the "spring guards" off his car because they were making noise, and he had a 98 EO

that is of course iirc, and a few other New England members have gotten the springs on there SVT replaced under the recall for broken springs

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
G
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by todras:
5k?! LMFAO!!!!!!! It books for about $3600 in excellent condition with 50k miles. You'll be lucky to get that.

$5K is what I got from http://www.kbb.com. But I wouldn't be surprised if I got the amount you mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard