Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
I know there is a modded pan that prevents oil starvation. I am going to race Auto-X this season and i need to know if modded oil pan is something i should look into getting on before i race. Im not going to take the chance of killing my car.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Oil pan replacement may not be allowed in your class. Adding baffling is allowed in street tire classes. But, oil pans are a patch and may not help that much. If you're modded and going to Street Prepared anyway, an Accusump would be an option that will work well.

I run without and don't worry. Use 6 to 6.5 qts and make sure it's always at least that full. I think I may be losing some power thanks to the exta oil (I do 6.5), but it's worth it.

Here are two threads:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=scca&Number=599862
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=scca&Number=865103

Basically, you very rarely have long, extended turns in autocross. There's almost never enough time to get the oil away from the pickup and suck air. If there is a very long right-hander, either straighten it out into chunks (may be faster anyway) or shift up. But I haven't run into a course with one that has made me worry yet.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
You should be fine running extra oil. However, if there is a part number that supercedes the original one, you can run the uprated part.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Ok thanks for the info! I was also looking into getting a DMD because i hear they are good for auto-x.. Cant wait to show the people of North Dakota my SVT.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
the DMD crazy has seem to faded....I don't know if thats because we all bought them, or if because they are 'snake oil'

Ryan Trollin!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
The result of the debate was something like this:

• They make a real improvement in percieved smoothness at high revs
  • They probably cost a tiny bit of power - it's negligible.
  • They don't save the engine or reduce wear by any real amount.

Conclusion: it's just a NVH mod. The driver may be happier, but the engine isn't really any better off.

Don't start this argument again if you don't agree with me: go read all the old posts. (Not to anyone in particular, just sayin'.)

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I thought the DMD made a night/day difference with NVH at high rpm's -- nice and smooth at 6000-7000rpm.

In reguards to oiling / over-oiling... I've been autocrossing this powertrain (Cougar Feb 2000-2003, Contour 2003-current) with 1 extra quart and haven't had any oiling issues. There have been 2 courses that I may have altered my angles because of long right hand sweepers though.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Yeah, please don't take what I said to mean the DMD is no good - most people love it. It's just not needed to keep your engine in good shape.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
At inspection for Auto-X do they really notice [censored] like the oil pan!? I mean on the car the visible differences between escape pan and the stock pan are hard to spot!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Inspection is not for classing it is just for safety.

You class yourself in the correct class based on the mods that you have.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard