Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I've been looking around & learning about the CD4E recently & I found some tranny assembly part number differences. Specifically there are two transmission part numbers for the 2002 Cougar V-6 ATX:

One starts with: 1S8P (1S8P-AA AND BA)

The other starts with: 2S8P (2S8P-AA AND AB)

As you may expect, the 1S8P is the earlier version and shows up in many 2001 models as well as the 2002 Cougar, whereas the 2S8P is typically only found in the 2002 Cougar.

Are these interchangeable?

What are the differences?

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Not sure about alot of the changes to the CD4E after or during the 2000 build year, but it's possible that one of the differences could be the location of the VSS. IIRC, in the later models they changed the VSS and the location.

Not sure about much else that they might have changed after that. Good question, just one that haven't really researched alot.

I am searching the Borg Warner site right now to see what I can find out, because after a quick search over at Bulk Part I found that there are some differences in the 2001 and 2003 rebuild kits. What they are I don't know, but I am going to find out.

{EDIT}
Only differences I can find are the forward, low/reverse friction plates. The Forward friction plate has Radial Grooves as of 2001 and the Low/Reverse friction plate has Double Parallel Grooves as of the same year.

Other than that... that is all I can find. No other aftermarket or OEM provider has much info out there.

Last edited by unisys12; 03/22/06 02:26 AM.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by unisys12:
but it's possible that one of the differences could be the location of the VSS. IIRC, in the later models they changed the VSS and the location.

in the 2001 cougar CD4E i have, there is a different style VSS somehwat near the TSS if ir emember correctly....ill double cheak later this week and get a pic. the old style above the diff had a little plate covering it. i purchased the new style one and used it to plug the hole instead of fabricating a plate. it was cheap anyways. my 97 VSS dropped right in and worked perfect after removing the little plate, held on by 1 bolt IIRC

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
1) The VSS change was between 1999 an 2000

2) The 01+ CD4E has a .810" chain (and thus smaller pitch sprockets) and the pre 01 CD4E has a 1.05" chain. I would imagine that the shift strategy combined with the smaller (thus lighter) components would make for less rotational losses and thus less driveline loss.

3) Sometime in late 98 IIRC, Ford revised the oil pump.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I've been looking around & learning about the CD4E recently & I found some tranny assembly part number differences. Specifically there are two transmission part numbers for the 2002 Cougar V-6 ATX:

One starts with: 1S8P (1S8P-AA AND BA)

The other starts with: 2S8P (2S8P-AA AND AB)

As you may expect, the 1S8P is the earlier version and shows up in many 2001 models as well as the 2002 Cougar, whereas the 2S8P is typically only found in the 2002 Cougar.

Are these interchangeable?

What are the differences?

I forgot to answer your questions ... Yes, they are interchangable as far as fitting into a 2001+ Cougar. These MAY work on latest produced Contours as they MAY share the same VSS location as the 2000+ Cougars. Not sure on that front, but I can show you the VSS location THAT WILL NOT WORK (1999 Cougar location) if you are interested. This location is the same as the pre 2000 Contour I know for sure ... unsure of the 2000 Contour. You would have to compare 2000 Contours VSS location to the pictures that I will post if you want.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
ahh ... what the hell ... here you all go:

1999 CD4E VSS location

2000+ CD4E VSS location "boss" on 1999 case. It's on the opposite case half (Drum side).

Last edited by fastcougar; 03/22/06 04:53 AM.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
i purchased the new style one and used it to plug the hole instead of fabricating a plate. it was cheap anyways. my 97 VSS dropped right in and worked perfect after removing the little plate, held on by 1 bolt IIRC

Russell, you have a universal CDW27 tranny!

Great info guys, thanks! So I gather.... if we should ever need a tranny, the newer Cougar CD4E will work in a Contour - just re-locate the VSS to the old spot.

This brings up the questions: Is the new VSS similar to the old one so I could just plug into it? Will the signal to the PCM be basically the same with the new setup? Is it some sort of huge benefit to have moved the VSS, or was it just a re-location/manufacturing/access issue?

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Not sure why the change, but most likely to accomodate better access and aslo for the retooling for the upcoming (at the time) Escape ... just a guess.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Thanks fastcougar. I couldn't see the pictures you provided because the the fire-wall at work, but I suspected it was for access reasons. I guess I was just hoping for some performance/reliability benefit out of the change.

Now I'm wondering if the Escape tranny can be fit as a possible upgrade...

Gawd this could make somebody crazy...

<==== (* off to perform more research *)

Last edited by TourDeForce; 03/22/06 03:34 PM.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Based soley on the interior dimensions of the components, the 1.05" chain should be "beefier" than the .810" chain, albeit at a weight, rotational mass penalty. This is assuming the same material specification.

As for the sensor differences, I will post more pictures tonight of why I THINK they differ greatly ... maybe Russell can chime in with pictures of the sensor and how it might differ. I can only comment on the pre 2000 setup since that is the one I rebuilt. Oddly enough, the person who bought it had a 2000 and ran into this problem. The people doing the swap for her ended up rebuilding her 2000 tranny and she sold this 1999 tranny to another Cougar owner.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard