Next Thread
Print Thread
#1530723 03/20/06 02:09 PM
95cgl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Hi,

Has anyone added a Tach to a 95 Contour GL? if so can you please take a pic and post? i would like to have one but not at all sure where or how i would put it in. Or if i would even like it.

what Parts,tools and time would i need?

Specs are in sig

95 contour 2nd owner Miles: 98,800 Transmission: Automatic Engine: Zetec 4 Cylinder 2.0L Significant Problems: Wiring Harness (cracking!!)
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
If you're talking stock, you will need the correct 1995 cluster first off...

If you have an early model (the trip odometer reset is on left side of trip odo), then you will need a Zetec cable driven cluster. If you have a later model (reset on right side of odo), then you will need a 95-97? cluster. The circuit board changed at some point, so if you get a 98+?, you may burn it up.

• There is a way to put an electric speedometer in an originally cable driven car... I don't remember if it was plug and play or if you had to wire something. I do remember the VSS was present on their car, so the signal is there, just gotta make it work.

Now onto the 2nd part... tachs are fairly rare in Zetec Contours. Maybe 5 speeds will have one, but a Zetec 5 speed is rare in itself! But, don't fear, all Mystiques have a tach, so find a Zetec Mystique and take it out of there.

• The V6/SVT tachs are different, so if you threw one of them in, it's reading would be off. It's easy to tell if the car was a V6/SVT since it will say it right on the tach face, where as a Zetec tach says nothing.

And the 3rd part, you will need a phillips and flat head screwdriver. Flat head for prying out the covers over the screws, and the phillips for removing the screws.

• Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    J
    New CEG\'er
    New CEG\'er
    J

Now onto the 2nd part... tachs are fairly rare in Zetec Contours. Maybe 5 speeds will have one, but a Zetec 5 speed is rare in itself! But, don't fear, all Mystiques have a tach, so find a Zetec Mystique and take it out of there.

I have a '96 Zetec 5 speed. Didn't know it was rare but, no, it does not have a tac. Would love to know what rpm its doing a 70 mph though.

'96 GL Contour Zetec I4 mtx
    95cgl Offline OP
    New CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    New CEG\'er
    Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
    If you're talking stock, you will need the correct 1995 cluster first off...

If you have an early model (the trip odometer reset is on left side of trip odo), then you will need a Zetec cable driven cluster. If you have a later model (reset on right side of odo), then you will need a 95-97? cluster. The circuit board changed at some point, so if you get a 98+?, you may burn it up.

• There is a way to put an electric speedometer in an originally cable driven car... I don't remember if it was plug and play or if you had to wire something. I do remember the VSS was present on their car, so the signal is there, just gotta make it work.

• The V6/SVT tachs are different, so if you threw one of them in, it's reading would be off. It's easy to tell if the car was a V6/SVT since it will say it right on the tach face, where as a Zetec tach says nothing.

And the 3rd part, you will need a phillips and flat head screwdriver. Flat head for prying out the covers over the screws, and the phillips for removing the screws.

• sounds like a pain in the back and wallet.

cant you get those oh, i dont know what there called external tachs? that are kinda like gauges for a air pump or something and just plug it in some how? i dont know where you could mount it but you could find some place..

95 contour 2nd owner Miles: 98,800 Transmission: Automatic Engine: Zetec 4 Cylinder 2.0L Significant Problems: Wiring Harness (cracking!!)
    P
    CEG\'er
    CEG\'er
    P
    To add what Daddy Kane said, You can use a 98+ cluster even if you have a 96-97, I have a mystique cluster from a 96 and a mystique cluster out of a 98+ and both work fine.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
    C
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    C
    Originally posted by ZetecGL:
    To add what Daddy Kane said, You can use a 98 cluster even if you have a 96-97, I have a mystique cluster from a 96 and a mystique cluster out of a 98 and both work fine.

Corrected.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
    P
    CEG\'er
    CEG\'er
    P
    I'm not 100% positive what year mystique cluster I used, I know for sure the one I'm runing now is a 96. The one I have extra is either out of a 98-99-or 00.. I'm not sure.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
    Y
    New CEG\'er
    New CEG\'er
    Y
    hmmm, when I did mine it took some thinking..I have a 95' Gl 2.0L...(even though its an ATX i like watch the tach)well my first cluster i found was out of a 97' 2.5L...noo worky, but then I found my dimond in the ruff...most of its back end was smashed, but it was a '96 2.0L...I then tested the cluster i pulled, mixed and matched all the little light bulbs so I could finnaly have a fully lit cluster, ran a wire from the PCM (i think it was blue, #2 maybe?)...

use care when swaping out the odometer, the damn speedo needal is a little bugger but you have to take it off, then have a buddy help dial it in....

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard