Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Although the picture doesnt match up, I've got a Pioneer 2 channel amp fitting these exact specs.
here

After feeling the difference in acceleration in my car without a huge box in the back I'm having second thoughts of putting it back in and now I think I just want to push a set of speakers with this amp.

However, I am wondering if it will even work. This amp is almost brand new so I don't wanna get rid of it but I'm not sure of any speakers that can handle these power levels. Or even how many speakers I could power with this amp.

Is there anything you guys can recommend? Any speakers, ways of wiring (i've never wired speakers into an amp before)?

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You would have to extend the (front) speaker wiring to the location of your amp, and connect to main (not the subwoofer) preouts of your headunit. Speaker wiring is just like to the headunit. [If you want to run all 4 of your speakers off the amp, it would be a 2 ohm load, no fader control. Maybe the manuals would make good reading before trying that.] A good set of component speakers would benefit from the amp power. Alternatively, an infinite baffle sub would give the bass without the heavy box, or just use a smaller woofer box .

I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
I have read that running at a 2 ohm load could shorten my speaker life? I'm guessing it all depends on the speakers and amp but I'll have to find my manual.

Now lets say I just amp the rear speakers (some speakers that can produce nice mid to low sounds) and run the front speakers off the head unit. For the rears would I run wiring from the speakers directly to the amp, or do I splice into the existing speaker wiring?

I'm guessing I'd be able to power 2 speakers around 60 watts rms each with no problems, correct?

Audio is not really my thing so I'm still trying to learn, I just want something that will sound decent with rap music without the heavy box.

thanks for your help btw, you're probably the first person whos given me an answer instead of "Pioneer amps aren't that great".

Last edited by IonNinja; 03/19/06 01:23 PM.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
actually I made a mistake in that last post. the amp is 125 watts rms x 2 so I would have to amp all 4 speakers to run them at around 60 watts rms each correct? 2 speakers per channel...

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Your amp life might shorten, 2 ohm load makes it run hotter, if you were playing the system painfully loud. Yes, the wattage would be a bit more than that at each speaker, 2 in parallel on each channel. Pioneer is one of the first car audio makers, they made a Supertuner with cassette or 8 track back in the 70's.. Ebay, supertuner underdash

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard