Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
greetings again members ! my 99CSVT will turn-over but not start-up !

so far : did a visual ; checked fuse ( no way to check relay i guess ) ; removed rearseat & WAS SURPRISED TO HEAR FUEL PUMP PRIME as i was certain from my research that it was finished . the car had recently been 'bucking'during WOT @ high-rpm's .
" could the pump still work and the REGULATOR or RELAY be bad ? "

so before i commit the car to the shop , any further driveway remidies ?

any of these items possible causes ( COIL , VACUUM , DPFE , IAC , EGR , any other sensor / solenoid / connection )

PATS can be ruled-out & NO CEL was present before or now .

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR IDEAS !

Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
quik background : started car , backed out of driveway , engaged 1st & stalled !! would not then or now start !

since i hear the fuel pump activating , should i assume the pump filter is clogged ? i had the "bucking" , so this is fuel-pump related ?

if it is the filter , could i just remove it in some way & preserve the use of the pump as i read in a search that someone here stated it was an unecessary part of the unit .

i have replaced the fuel filter recently so it's not that .

GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONS before i spend all my Rent money on some mechanic scanning & tearing it apart !

Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
1 more ? :

if i disconnect the negative on the battery for like 5 min's to re-set the computer , would this remove all the recorded items a diagnostic scan would need when i concede defeat & take the car to the shop l

i just wanna try anything small/cheap/smart before i go through all .........

tnx all !

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by yyz-svt:
1 more ? :

if i disconnect the negative on the battery for like 5 min's to re-set the computer , would this remove all the recorded items a diagnostic scan would need when i concede defeat & take the car to the shop l

Yes. But the codes will come back after driving through the OBD II cycle.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
How much gas is in the tank?

Does it buck only when below 1/4 tank?

bottom intake to the pump may be clogged if so.

Still I recommend that you just check the fuel pressure for starters.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
Thanks Tony & Roger for your input .

it appears that this issue has been discussed many times & most ppl would prefer not to comment anymore !

i tryed to word my posts in a unique way to encourage more responses since i would hate to spend more $ that could go towards a K&N or ??

so , the fuel level is 1/8 or a lil more since i added 5bux to ensure it wasn't out of gas ! symptoms of power cut out recently was at lower tank levels !!!

I WONDER IF I FILL UP THE TANK , MAYBE THE CAR WOULD START & THIS WOULD VERIFY IT WAS THAT SCREEN OR SOCK THAT IS PLUGGED !

of course , if not ..... this is way more gas to drain out !

Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
so with the codes purged until another driving cycle , this would be bad if i spent 100bux on the scan & no data was available since it is not running ?

i would have to un-hinge the terminal if i decided to remove the fuel pump & discard the screen , so i should maybe just SKIP THE DIAGNOSTIC SCAN & ASK THE SHOP TO GO RIGHT AHEAD & DO 1 OF THE FOLLOWING :

- Remove OEM pump & if they notice disc is clogged have em throw it away & re-install !

- Remove OEM pump & just go ahead with the FSVT install , hoping this is within the capabilities of a shop - tech to keep the modifications under 1/2 hr labour !

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by yyz-svt:
so with the codes purged until another driving cycle , this would be bad if i spent 100bux on the scan & no data was available since it is not running ?

True dat!

Read the Fuel pump FAQ . You may decide that you can do it yourself.

BTW, in colder climates you want to keep the tank full to reduce the condensation inside the tank that makes it rust.

You can also buy a code scanner for about the cost of a shop scan. This would come in handy in the future.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
Y
yyz-svt Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Y
i have printed that doc , however , i would be concerned about somehow damaging the new unit so if the driveway ideas give no results , the FSVT fuel pump will be installed by a Tech !

i do not own a fuel pressure gauge & would not know what i could do with the info offered by hooking it up . i figure i MUST have Fuel-Pressure as the Fuel-Pump is currently making that "priming" sound when KEY-ON engaged !

so , i at this point , i request FEEDBACK on these items :

a) the fuel pump relay must be worknig because the fuel-pump makes that sound ? ( right/wrong )

b) how do i remove the relay for the f/p & ignition and check it in the HORN relay position . ( use flat-head screwdriver to pry up , could not pull it up with fingers )

c) would you guys recommend i go ahead with the diagnostic scan for 90bux even though there was NO CEL condition and all indications are it's the Lower-intake to the f/p being clogged ! ( couldn't that money go towards FSVT f/p labour )

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
If you have Cels, buy a scan tool.
If your FP is pumping, it works. Perhaps a clogged fuel filter or the filter screen I hear many SVT owners talk about. Most people take them out as the screen causes a blockage.
Are you putting 92 octane in as required?
Remove relays with plyers-pull straight up.
Are you getting spark? Check the coil with OHM meter to insure it is in spec. Do the same for the plug wires.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard