Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1528275 03/17/06 03:00 AM
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I have 110 miles on my 98 zetec and just had my timing belt and waterpump replaced about a month ago.
I has smelled like burning oil ever since when I'm at a stop.
They told me I have a bad valve cover gasket and I am wondering if they had to remove the valve cover to change the timing belt?
If I replasce it myself do I need a torque wrench or can I just tighten it down well?
It looks like I need to pull the plug wires off the plugs and then pop the valve cover off.
Will I need gasket grease too?
Thanks in advance.
Tom

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
if they did the timing belt right then yes, they had to remove the valve cover. I didnt use a torque wrench on mine, And no, you dont need grease but i do suggest use a little gasket sealer.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Thanks. It's getting all the way up to 40 degrees this weekend, so I'll replace it then.
Tom

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
The valve cover bolts are only torqued to 53-71 in-lbs on the 1995 to 1997 and 1998 and later is 62 in-lbs. Thats not much. Be careful if you don't use a torque wrench. You will squeeze it right out.

T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Thanks for the advice.
Do I put the gasket sealant on both the top and bottom of the gasket?

D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Yes they pulled the cover. If they didn't replace the rubber gasket, but only used silicon rubber, then there is a real possible chance it will leak. Mine did. I reccommend replacing it but it cost ~$40.00. I cleaned up the two layers of silicon rubber very good. Took two hours. The bolts go through a sleeve that prevents too much tightening, but don't over do it. My leak ruin my spark plugs wires.

T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
The Mercury dealer quoted me $135.00 to replace the gasket.

Thanks

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Tom Mpls:
The Mercury dealer quoted me $135.00 to replace the gasket.

Thanks

Yeah well again shops are expensive. But hey we have to make a living to.

I went to school for over 3 years for auto repair. I'm sent to classes often to keep updated on the newest stuff. My toolbox full of Snap On and Craftsman is worth over $20,000 dollars.

So yeah if you want your car fixed it will be expensive.

Think of it this way, do you really think it is that hard to go into someone and remove a body part, say a apendix, they can cost over $50,000. It doesnt cost the hospital that much, again it is about profits.

T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I hear you.
My thinking is that I can do this repair and save the money to pay to have them replace my left front wheel bearing that's starting to make noise.
Thanks,
TOm

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
you do not need any sealant for the valve cover gasket, just push it in place onto the valve cover and bolt back on

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard