Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Ah my favorite topic or that which haunts me the most! brake shudder or TV thickness variation.
http://www.bendixbrakes.com/downloads/Twenty-first-Century-Rotors.pdf and the many article on www.stoptech.com

Since this happens to my Mystique on a regular basis, I just tried a experiment. First I'm have Stazi's rotors and just found out 1st generation Bendix Titanium's with approx 20K+ miles. I used a 6" right angle random orbit sander to clean up the rotors. With 180 grit I knew it wouldn't remove that much. Jacked up one side with motor at idle (ATX) D or R cleaned both sides of both rotors. Cough cough got to remember, buy more dust masks!
Installed torqued and headed out on the back country roads and did 15-25 hard stops from approx. 60-70mph down 10-20 mph and continued on allowing several minutes or so cooling. The key is not to stop and allow the pads to imprint on the smoking hot rotor. So I've read on the Bendix site and Stoptech.com site. Not the easiest process to finish without traffic causing interruptions. This is first time I've tried this lengthy bedding process. If the burning of the eyes the next morning opening the garage door is any indication, I believe I managed to transfer a good even layer of pad materiel to the rotors. Actually the deep dark bluish rotors with a slight tinge of gray is what I was going for.
I'll see how long this the smooth pedal lasts. I think this is where the proper pad material comes into play? But since this chassis invites aggressive driving ever so often, possibility not possible to design any pad material for such a wide range?????
I'm thinking majority driving with many easy stops is reducing transferred pad material and eventually becomes uneven???
I'm thinking maybe I should replace the slider pin bushings? Original calipers 98 Mystique LS (07/97) Brake fluid flushed many times with Castrol LMA. Lost count, I have a bad habit of forgetting to write that in my maintenance log. The pistons are still nice smooth operation.
How many have noticed the light rust layer on rotors after washing ? This may the start lead to the unevenness, also?
So many things to try so little of a budget!
TNX
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
I had the rotors turned and it improved the shudder at high speeds quite a bit. I guess that the cheap rotors sometimes require turning prior to using them.

1998 Black CSVT, 75k mi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard