Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Hey everyone, I was about to put in some Royal Purple fluid into my MTX but I've come to a stand still.

The fill and drain plugs are pretty well in place after 80K miles. I dont want to be forcing anything (learned my lesson too many times)

I dont have any air tools and have to do it by hand. I havent tried too hard but I'd ask around before I kick my self in the rear for messing up or breaking the plug. I searched a little and didnt find too much.

Pretty much what's my best best to get these bad boys off? I have a correct size allen wrench that I'm using. I was about to hammer at the wrench but the gut told me to ask first.

Also is PB okay for the fill plug or is it too risky of it finding it's way in?

Thanks any advice is good advice, especially since the car is in the air as we speak.
-Danylo

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
use an allen head socket or wrench and put it in snugly. Then take a hammer and hit the handle (in the correct direction) to shock the plug loose. May take one or two sharp blows and it will loosen right up. If you're a real stud use your hand.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by warmonger:
use an allen head socket or wrench and put it in snugly. Then take a hammer and hit the handle (in the correct direction) to shock the plug loose. May take one or two sharp blows and it will loosen right up. If you're a real stud use your hand.

Thanks I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a wuss bolt which is going to snap at a moments notice. Too many times have I screwwed myself over by making thoughtless choices when it comes to bolts.

Where's the best place to find 8mm wrenches, because home depot I realized has crap when it comes to that gear. Just want to avoid using allen wrenches since they arent the best option by any means.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
if you have the correct allen key, find a deep 3/8 drive socket that fits somewhat snugly over the allen key and stick a 6" extension in the socket and use that for leverage

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I used a long-handled allen-wrench (8mm...) and made sure it was all the way in. I then put a pipe over the end of the wrench and it broke free easily.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Got em off easily with a long allen and pipe extension. Thanks for the help everyone, just made sure I wasnt going to regret my actions so I had to ask.

-D

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard