Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#1527495 05/26/06 02:41 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Tourige:
Originally posted by ContourSVT93:
Youll need the flex pipe. You wont need a test pipe unless your changing your cat.. if thats the pipe your talking about.

wrong, if you have a 3 bolt flange then you have a stock flex pipe, the headers and y pipe are a direct swap.

OH i did not know that.. thanks for the info ...

#1527496 05/26/06 01:58 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by NorthPole SVT:
tour de force i checked i have the 3 bolt setup. So i need to get the flex pipe but i dont need the test pipe right? What is the EGR? thanks for the help

How's it feel to save lots of time & money. The headers will be a direct swap. No flex or other mods needed for the exhaust.

You will only need the fitting for the EGR pipe adaptation - cheap & kinda easy. Of course the MIL eliminators too, but you'll be up & running lots quicker & cheaper.

ENJOY!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#1527497 05/26/06 02:07 PM
T
Tourige Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by NorthPole SVT:
tour de force i checked i have the 3 bolt setup. So i need to get the flex pipe but i dont need the test pipe right? What is the EGR? thanks for the help

How's it feel to save lots of time & money. The headers will be a direct swap. No flex or other mods needed for the exhaust.

You will only need the fitting for the EGR pipe adaptation - cheap & kinda easy. Of course the MIL eliminators too, but you'll be up & running lots quicker & cheaper.

ENJOY!

yep, 5/8" compression fitting will do the trick.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

#1527498 05/27/06 05:24 PM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Ok I guess I understand the whole y-pipe flex pipe deal...

Since I have a early 98 I have the 2 bolt cat.

The W/R y-pipe is shorter then my factory y-pipe. So because of this if I just bought the Trubendz high flow cat testpipe w/3 bolt flange I would have roughly 8" of gap. So to properly correct this I need to get the flex pipe that everyone is talking about.

Is this correct?

Or could I just by the Trubendz cat and be done with it after I build the MIL's and use the 5/8" union fitting?

Or even better could I just buy a 3 bolt flange, weld it to my existing cat and call it good and just use the MIL's and 5/8" union fitting?

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
#1527499 05/27/06 08:43 PM
T
Tourige Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by CSVT#49:
Ok I guess I understand the whole y-pipe flex pipe deal...

Since I have a early 98 I have the 2 bolt cat.

The W/R y-pipe is shorter then my factory y-pipe. So because of this if I just bought the Trubendz high flow cat testpipe w/3 bolt flange I would have roughly 8" of gap. So to properly correct this I need to get the flex pipe that everyone is talking about.

Is this correct?

Or could I just by the Trubendz cat and be done with it after I build the MIL's and use the 5/8" union fitting?

Or even better could I just buy a 3 bolt flange, weld it to my existing cat and call it good and just use the MIL's and 5/8" union fitting?

Yes, you need a flex pipe.

Just stick with the hi-flow trubendz cat.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

#1527500 05/27/06 09:03 PM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C

Well I'm not quite sure. What's the reason for needing a flex pipe. I just got back under my car to put my new clutch in and I placed the W/R y-pipe in there underneath my existing 2 bolt one and it matched up perfectly. I'm assuming if I buy the new Trubendz cat with the 3 bolt flange it should match up with my existing cat pipe, which would put it right at the W/R y-pipe flange.

So what am I missing here if I need that flex pipe? Will the Trubendz cat be shorter then my existing one? If thats the case wouldn't be easier and cheaper to just weld on a 3 bolt flange to my exisiting cat pipe?(my neighbor is a welder and has a nice setup, plus he owes me a favor.)

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
#1527501 05/27/06 10:59 PM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H

Well I'm not quite sure. What's the reason for needing a flex pipe. I just got back under my car to put my new clutch in and I placed the W/R y-pipe in there underneath my existing 2 bolt one and it matched up perfectly. I'm assuming if I buy the new Trubendz cat with the 3 bolt flange it should match up with my existing cat pipe, which would put it right at the W/R y-pipe flange.

So what am I missing here if I need that flex pipe? Will the Trubendz cat be shorter then my existing one? If thats the case wouldn't be easier and cheaper to just weld on a 3 bolt flange to my exisiting cat pipe?(my neighbor is a welder and has a nice setup, plus he owes me a favor.)

Welding a flange right up to the stock cat. Is another solution.

People would rather do all the work themselves. Instead of leaving there exhasut loose. Then driving a leaking car up to the shop to get it welded.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
#1527502 05/28/06 12:04 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B

the 2 bolt y-pipe allows the engine to move and have it not pull on the exhaust and crack it if it was a solid connection. The 3-bolt cat makes a solid connection so the exhaust needs a way to flex, the "flex" pipe allows the engine to move and not the exhaust like the 2-bolt setup does

so if you have a car with a 2-bolt cat and you want to run the WR y-pipe you need to change your cat to a 3-bolt one and add a flex pipe to make it all work.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1527503 05/28/06 01:19 AM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by BrApple:
WR y-pipe you need to change your cat to a 3-bolt one and add a flex pipe to make it all work.

So does the trubendz cat allow for the install of the flex-pipe. I guess the real question is, is it shorter then the current 2 bolt cat I have now, so I will have space for a flex pipe to fit in?

Also are there documented cases of peoples ehxaust cracking because of using a three bolt without a flex pipe?

Also I wonder if someone were to use a donut between the two 3 bolt flanges if it would limit the stress on the exhaust. I suppose one would have to use a dremel to allow proper sitting of the donut, but it could be done.

#1527504 05/28/06 01:49 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by BrApple:
WR y-pipe you need to change your cat to a 3-bolt one and add a flex pipe to make it all work.

So does the trubendz cat allow for the install of the flex-pipe. I guess the real question is, is it shorter then the current 2 bolt cat I have now, so I will have space for a flex pipe to fit in?

Also are there documented cases of peoples ehxaust cracking because of using a three bolt without a flex pipe?

Also I wonder if someone were to use a donut between the two 3 bolt flanges if it would limit the stress on the exhaust. I suppose one would have to use a dremel to allow proper sitting of the donut, but it could be done.

i don't knwo but I would think if you ordered the 3 bolt cat that it would be the correct size to bolt into the stock exhaust, and that would include the flex pipe

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard