Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1527249 03/15/06 06:16 PM
95cgl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Since im not having a problem with the belts i didn't think it belonged in troubleshooting.. anyways on with the post..

Im confused, I have read where the zetech is and isn't a interference motor. which is it?

Also,

I have never changed my belts i bought the car with 78K on it and now has 98K and timing belt is flapping against cover.

Is this something i should attempt to tackle? I certainly do not claim to be a mechanic of any form even though i think i know more than most of the twerps that have worked on it. How much would it cost to pay someone to do it?

I have read a few places where you have to take the tire and fender well covers out jack motor up(somehow) take off mounts replace the tensioners and inspect water pump.

Is this basically correct? and how long would it take?

Also my serpentine belt has never been changed (since Ive had it) How often does this need to be changed? currently it appears to be in ok shape. it does have little white dots all in it (is this normal? i dont know what a new one looks like.)

and something has a awful, inconsistent squeal sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't, here lately it hasn't been doing it. last night when i changed the MAF i had the heater on since it was a bit cold out and started squealing and out of curiosity i turned on a/c for sec. and stopped squealing:) what does this mean? Originally i thought it was a belt but im not sure now.

Also i am about 300 miles over next service, the reason being is because i never plan on taking it back to the dealer where i was taking it and i haven't decided if i should do the services myself or if i should find a better ford dealer.

If i do it myself i would save money and know it was being done right. but, i just wonder if i would miss something that would have been spotted if it was put on a rack and looked at. because all i have is a floor jack and 2 rusty stands. (gonna buy new)

Also,

I have read where FRAM oil filters are dispized around here, does this apply to all fram filters? air,fuel etc??

If there so awful then why does everyone praise them and how can they claim its the best on the planet?

What brand in yalls experience is the best for filters? i need a air filter right this second. i was considering changing the fuel filter, should i? I have read where you have to depressureize the lines how do i do this?

And Whats yalls take on radiator flushing additives? i bought a bottle of NAPA flush stuff but i never used it YET. but i intend to very soon i read on 1 site that said it would mess up some stuff but all the other sites i read said they were great. Are they effective? and safe?

well ill let yall answer those questions and i might post more later.

95 contour 2nd owner Miles: 98,800 Transmission: Automatic Engine: Zetec 4 Cylinder 2.0L Significant Problems: Wiring Harness (cracking!!)
#1527250 03/15/06 06:51 PM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Well I'm not sure about the timing belt, but the serpentine belt should be black with white lettering on it, maybe the spots are the letters fadding off. I would say change a belt every 80K-100K(?). Also about the timing belt, I got my cover changed over the dealer warrenty, they said on those years (95-97) the covers were too small, I do not know if it's true or not, because mine did the same thing when I first got the car, after it was changed it didn't seem to hit the cover anymore.
Also about the filters, I used to use Frame in mine when I first got it, and it was Ok, now I use Motorcraft, I have a Frame air filter in mine right now, seems to be fine.
Also on the flush additive, what exactly is it suppost to do? Sounds like a waste of money IMO.
Just drain the old fluid out and put new in.
HTH.

Edit: Oh yeah the squeal, might be something with the heater maybe, does it do it with the heater on only? Or at random times, if so could be the alternator belt, or just the serpentine belt.
Also I had a privatly owned shop change out my water pump and timing belt, much cheaper then the ford dealer doing it.

Last edited by Mystique97; 03/15/06 06:57 PM.

Jason G. 1997 Mercury Mystique GS ZETEC ATX Born: 11/96
#1527251 03/15/06 08:10 PM
95cgl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by Mystique97:
Well I'm not sure about the timing belt, but the serpentine belt should be black with white lettering on it, maybe the spots are the letters fadding off. I would say change a belt every 80K-100K(?). Also about the timing belt, I got my cover changed over the dealer warranty, they said on those years (95-97) the covers were too small, I do not know if it's true or not, because mine did the same thing when I first got the car, after it was changed it didn't seem to hit the cover anymore.
Also about the filters, I used to use Frame in mine when I first got it, and it was Ok, now I use Motorcraft, I have a Frame air filter in mine right now, seems to be fine.
Also on the flush additive, what exactly is it suppost to do? Sounds like a waste of money IMO.
Just drain the old fluid out and put new in.
HTH.

Edit: Oh yeah the squeal, might be something with the heater maybe, does it do it with the heater on only? Or at random times, if so could be the alternator belt, or just the serpentine belt.
Also I had a privately owned shop change out my water pump and timing belt, much cheaper then the ford dealer doing it.

The flush additive is actually like sand.. you dissolve it in a gallon of water and fill it full then let run with heater on for 10 Min.. its supposed to get the gunk off the sides of hoses etc.. so it will cool better.

On The squeal, it didn't seem to mater if the heater was on.. but the a/c made it go away.

Filters, i wanted to change what i could easily get to before i have it serviced. hoping to save some money, and i want to get something good.

On your timing belt cover, That's a possibility.. I may go look at it and see how close its sitting to top of belt and see if theres any size difference in current cover and new ones.

The MAF sensor i put on last night seemed to cure a few things, it must have been going out for some time, with the old one it always acted like it was gonna die when i started it, now it doesn't.

The only thing i could see visually that was wrong or different with old and new was the 2 little springs inside it the new one both are silver and old one the 1 up front was silver and in back was black..

95 contour 2nd owner Miles: 98,800 Transmission: Automatic Engine: Zetec 4 Cylinder 2.0L Significant Problems: Wiring Harness (cracking!!)
#1527252 03/15/06 09:36 PM
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
I can't speak to your timing belt issue (having never done one in a Zetec)...

As far as FRAM filters go, it's not that their oil filters are crap, it's that they are basically a very cheap filter being sold for a premium price. Just about ANY other filter is a better value, including (believe it or not) SuperTech, the Wally World house brand. Other good filters are WIX and NAPA Gold (which are the same thing), Purolator, and most especially Motorcraft. I personally use only Motorcraft oil filters on Ford products. AMSOIL, Mobil 1, and K&N are also very high quality, but very pricey, too.

FRAM's air and fuel filters are fine, however.

You should change the fuel filter at LEAST every 30,000 miles. I've never had to depressurise the fuel system...just let the car sit for a little bit before you remove the lines, and be sure to wear safety goggles just in case a little spritzes out. I've done dozens of fuel filters on Ford, GM, and Chrysler products and never had a problem.

'99 'Tour (actually my brother-in-law's, but I'm the family wrench)
#1527253 03/15/06 11:52 PM
95cgl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Originally posted by RF Overlord:
I can't speak to your timing belt issue (having never done one in a Zetec)...

As far as FRAM filters go, it's not that their oil filters are crap, it's that they are basically a very cheap filter being sold for a premium price. Just about ANY other filter is a better value, including (believe it or not) SuperTech, the Wally World house brand. Other good filters are WIX and NAPA Gold (which are the same thing), Purolator, and most especially Motorcraft. I personally use only Motorcraft oil filters on Ford products. AMSOIL, Mobil 1, and K&N are also very high quality, but very pricey, too.

FRAM's air and fuel filters are fine, however.

You should change the fuel filter at LEAST every 30,000 miles. I've never had to depressurise the fuel system...just let the car sit for a little bit before you remove the lines, and be sure to wear safety goggles just in case a little spritzes out. I've done dozens of fuel filters on Ford, GM, and Chrysler products and never had a problem.

Ok, I definitely need the fuel filter to then.

Motorcraft huh? Well whatever yall say.

Fram is awful expensive but if it did a better job at protecting the tour then 5 bucks extra would be worth it.

#1527254 03/16/06 03:39 AM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
In just changed the timing belt on my 98 2.0L zetec. It was pretty easy. If you are going to change it make sure you get the crank pin to lock the number 1 to TDC. and the bar that sets the cams. Take your time. You can do in in about half a day. While you are doing it replce your water pump. You are right there. Also get the whole timing kit, that includes the belt and the tensioner and idlers. Rock auto is the cheapest place to get the kit. You can order it online. I have seen other people say some shops wanted about $300 to change it plus parts. If you want to know thesteps let me know and I will send them to you.

#1527255 03/16/06 04:04 AM
95cgl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
hmm.. 95 bucks for kit and 65 for water pump.

152 bucks vs. 300+ Just for belt change,

sounds like it might be worth it.(lol)

I suppose ill take you up on the instructions. thanks!

#1527256 03/16/06 06:46 PM
95cgl Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
I found some interesting websites,

Oil filter testings and opinions.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

Air filter testings.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Sounds like fram is all bad.

But my question is which one was best?

Sounds like wix/napa wasn't bad. for both oil and air filters, and purolator was ok for oil.

That K&N brand is EXPENSIVE!

Motorcraft=Purolator Just Cheaper

Ill probably go to napa i get AAA discount there

#1527257 03/16/06 07:38 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
The motorcraft oil filter is the correct one to use. It has the check valve in it to keep the exhaust valve closed while not running. It says in the TSB, that was put out for the Zetec motor that if you are getting the cam codes to make sure it is the right filter among other things. I only payed about $4 at the Advance Auto for it.

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard