Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1527203 03/16/06 01:04 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by BrianW:
Originally posted by SnafuFlux:
my feeling with a BMW is... sure its used and cheaper, but the parts are still expensive. if you have to repair it, its going to cost you so much! is that worth the savings on buying an expensive car?

I have YET to see that theory proven. A friend of mine just replaced the salve cyclinder on his 95 or so 318, part was about $100 or so, he installed himself in less than an hour. You don't HAVE to buy OEM parts, buy something for the same price that will be better, IE brakes, spark plugs, wires, etc. Sure the labour(if you pay for it at the dealer) will be higher, bmw has a high standard for service and they do great work. I wouldn't think twice about buying a 4-5 year old BMW. I love tham, always have.

Beamers are like Tours not to many parts under $100. Enigine bay is just as tight as the Tour depending on model.
The big BUT is that beamers are very advanced (good thing) which means lots of sensors and wiring that can go bad and cost you if you don't have warranty. This is the area on a used beamer that gets pricey.
It's also a factor on any used car your looking at.

Personally I'm waiting to get a hold of a used G35 coupe, a little longer and they'll get to $20G'S.
By then I may opt for new vs used as warranty may dictate this route.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
#1527204 03/16/06 05:40 AM
E
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
E
I like the Acura CL (6 speed) in that price range.

#1527205 03/16/06 10:45 AM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Thanks for all the opinions guys.

I like the idea of a BMW. I'm not afraid of maintenance, as lets face it guys, if your not afraid to read a lil and get your hands dirty, most labour costs are nil. But although I love BMW's for their styling and performance, i wouldn't drive one because, well... it's a bmw. Too much associated baggage.

What i've seen a few of and something I'd really like to look into, is the Audi a6. I've seen a few of the 4.2L V8's (310hp i think) with the factory wide body in that range, (looks like S6) but there are also the 2.7 twin turbo engines. These sound very tempting, but someone told me that they were an interference engine, timed with a belt. Does anyone know anything bout either of these in terms of reliability? My mod plans would be minimal.

Thx again guys!

96 LX 3.0L MTX - Black/Tan K&N; 12lb F/W & uprated clutch 2.5" Pipe; SVT bits; Mystery Mod; Pull-tie Mod; UN-tuned Mod; 3rd Gear Synro-Crunch Mod 280K on the Shell, and 40ish on the Motor... 1/4 mile?? Yeah, it's a fun daily driver...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard