Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DJBrian Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
It was working a few hours ago, just fine. No hard driving, just went to the store and back. Got in the car about 5 hours later, couldn't get it into 1st or second, just 3rd and forth. Backed up when i left the house, but had no reverse when i got back. What the hecks going on fella's? Did a cable break or something? Where should i start? Need help, as this is my only transportation to and from work.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
would check the cable attachment at the trans end and and then at the shifter end before assuming the cable itself is broken.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
D
DJBrian Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
When it's light, i'll check them out. My problem is that with the car running, i try to put it in gear, clutch released. I move the shifter into first, it holds, second, it holds, third it holds and so on. It's only when i go into first or second, 5th and reverse, clutch depressed, it puts me into 2nd or 3rd? WTF? The shifter is a b&m and when i'm in 2nd or 3rd, it feels like i can move the shifter from left to right pretty easaly. Could this be caused by a collet that i replaced about a year ago? That plastic piece of crap that holds the shift linkage to the transmission gear selector? How many are there? I've been searching the board to no avail.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Go under the car and check your cable endlinks - white and black plastic thingys that attach to the trasmission selector. If either of them are severely worn or broken that could cause bad gear engagement or loss of gears.

To check your cables, detach the endlinks from the selector using a flathead screwdriver, then pull them back an forth through their full range of movement, while someone watches the shifter in the cabin for movement. Any loss of movement in the shifter (or no movement) would indicate worn or broken cables.

HTH.

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Shift cable ends... Had the same problem. Feels like there is nothing there...

1998 SVT E0 T-Red/Midnight Blue --> SOLD 2000 SVT Black/Tan 84,000 on the clock
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by DJBrian:
It was working a few hours ago, just fine. No hard driving, just went to the store and back. Got in the car about 5 hours later, couldn't get it into 1st or second, just 3rd and forth. Backed up when i left the house, but had no reverse when i got back. What the hecks going on fella's? Did a cable break or something? Where should i start? Need help, as this is my only transportation to and from work.

Yep, they're right. Probably shift cable end for the left to right actuation since you can't get 1,2,R

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
D
DJBrian Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Thanks for the replies fella's. It was the collet that holds the cable end. Why did ford come up with such cheap parts for those. I've replaced them twice now. Thanks for the quick help by the way.

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard