Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by SteedaSVTââ??¢:
We figured out the time it takes to make one of these, its over 10 hours of straight labor.

Go to a Car audio place and ask them how much 10 hours of labor is... like 650 dollars.

Yes, but some places would make a mold if they knew they had several buyers. Same reason you can buy a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood for $300. Sure it'd take 30 hours to make one by hand, and would run $5000, but nobody is going to buy it, even if it's "hand made."

People will decide what is more important, function or fashion. I've got an a-pillar pod also, and it was $45. I personally want people on the street to be a little curious as to what I've got done, as it's hard enough as it is to get anyone to play. Anyone going for fashion over function has to decide if it's worth the extra $125 over the price of an a-pillar pod.

Just my $.02

Mark

ya but to make a mold for something like this is def not worth it. it takes almost 3 hours just to cut and trim before glassing. Then you add in the glass. Just wondering what was the problem.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
i am sure you could make some type of mold/jig to hold the PVC at the right angle and allow you to glass them all together and give you the basic shape.
then all you would have to do is glass that piece into the cutout bezel.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Could but its still not gonna make it cheaper becuase of the obvious limited # of people who want one, ya know

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
There isnt really a good way to make a mold of this. The unit itself is molded INTO the stock vents. Even if there was an 'easy' way to mold all of this the cost isnt worth it for the limited number of people who are going to buy it. If this was a.. WRX or something popular it would be different.

As it stands, each one is a one-off custom. Steeda and I sit down and hand cut the space into the bezels, and hand lay the pipes, and then handlay and shape the fiberglass.

Out of curiousity how much do peole think this kind of labor is worth?

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Out of curiousity how much do peole think this kind of labor is worth?

Your prices are well justified. Im gonna geuss though that the majority of CEG'ers would rather pay 50 bucks for the pillar pod.

Dont get me wrong, its completely awesome what you guys have done. If they are still available down the road some time, i'll be interested. But as of now, I have other priorities.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I dont think I'll forget how to fabricate them so they'll probably be available for awhile ;p

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Ok, being the broke college student I am, and steeda being the... steeda that he is we know money can be tight.

SO! we're going to drop the price down to $150 with a core return, or $175 without.

Hopefully this will help some people...

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Just wondering what was the problem.

www.contour.org, that's the problem....

Ryan Trollin!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

whatever that means...

Anyways, I think the price is fair for the work involved. It's more like someone can buy a pillar pod for 40-50. I dont like the way those look at all, I'd be in on this if I wasn't already commited to another GB for another CEG'er.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

whatever that means...

Anyways, I think the price is fair for the work involved. It's more like someone can buy a pillar pod for 40-50. I dont like the way those look at all, I'd be in on this if I wasn't already commited to another GB for another CEG'er.

Just what it says. The typical "I want, I want!" and then when its time to do it, "I can't because of X..."

Ryan Trollin!
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard