Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1526705 03/15/06 01:27 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Hi all , new to my Contour and the forums.
Problem: Dang self-adjusters,, changed the shoes and the drum wouldn`t fit..while the shoes were in place , to get the drum to fit I released the self adjuster by pushing the pin that it rotates on while the shoes were in place, the shoes moved inwards.. now there seems to be no tension on the adjuster but after putting it all back together the car seems to be stopping fine??
Question: Has anyone done these , is it proper to release the tension on the adjuster while the shoes are in place in order to get the drum to fit? Or??

Thanks in advance , Walter

#1526706 03/18/06 12:16 PM
W
OP Offline
W
K , figured it out. They are sure different than any others I have seen , once setup properly they really are a great design. Thanks for the help in the troubleshooting forum.
Regards
Walter227

#1526707 03/18/06 02:41 PM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by walter227:
K , figured it out. They are sure different than any others I have seen , once setup properly they really are a great design. Thanks for the help in the troubleshooting forum.
Regards
Walter227

if its not to much of a hassle, could you take a pic of the setup? Im going to be doing my drum brakes in auto lab some day coming up, I dont want to be entirely in the dark.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1526708 03/18/06 04:29 PM
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
Originally posted by walter227:
Regards
Walter227

if its not to much of a hassle, could you take a pic of the setup? Im going to be doing my drum brakes in auto lab some day coming up, I dont want to be entirely in the dark.

Dude it isnt that hard to change rear drum brakes. I can beat flat rate doing it.

I never looked at mine when I had a Contour. But all you really do is use the special tool, to press is the springs on the shoes, and then turn, loosen up a few more springs that they make and they come out.

My advice dont take apart both sides at once. Use the other side for reference.

#1526709 03/20/06 12:59 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
IMO its easier to remove the rear hub/wheel bearing when doing the rear brakes

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard