Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I finally got my heads back from the shop that did the port-matching to my SVT LIM, and I'm a bit concerned with the new injector "dimple" that they made. It looks too shallow to provide a good spray pattern, like it might deflect some of the injector spray and/or puddle the fuel. The shop said they didn't want to make it deeper because they were afraid to compromise the strength of the walls by making them too thin, and they said it would be ok that way anyways. Did you guys have to add any aluminum to the outside of the heads? Please check out the links to my pics below and tell me what you think. I should be able to get more pics of the heads with the LIM and injectors sitting on it tonight. I would especially like to hear from DemonSVT, Blackcoog, Warmonger and anyone else who has first-hand experience about this. T.I.A.!

Pics:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

Matt 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (WRB Stage 4+) Old Rides: 1999 Sil-Fro SVT Contour 3.0L with goodies (Totalled 6/21/06) 1988 Bronco II (Sold) You know you launch hard when you beat oncoming traffic through their own crosswalk lines.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
That is a little shallow and They have no clue what they are talking about ... the walls are not structural. In theory, you could port to tin-foil thickness without any adverse effects. I simply used the stock heads as a guide on the angle and worked it out from there. I hope they didn't charge you too much.

Last edited by fastcougar; 03/07/06 10:48 PM.
C
C
Hey, i am a newbie, but u should know i just finished my 3litre project and to tell u the truth, thats all my injector ports looked like, and it ran great, the only thing is, Due you plan on gasket matching? Because if you planed on using the factory gaskets theres not enough materiel where they filled the old injector ports to seal properly, it should protrude farther than that.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
One thing you guys may want to consider doing......

I cut my new injector ports to spray into both valves rather than just one. I also cut back on the center divider a bit to enhance that idea.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
ditto...

98 E0 SVT with some stuff
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
why would you have your spray pattern aimed at both valves? What's the advantage?

Former - 98 CSVT E0 T-Red 4/4/97 #173 of 6535 Dear Santa
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
The 3L's are aimed at both valves being in the center of that oval port. In that case the air and fuel would be mixed more evenly when entering the combustion chamber. I always try to angle mine at both valves.

I'd say the porting above is a bit shallow but if the gaskets match up you should be ok. I normally add aluminum to the top and bottom of the oval port and it doesn't look like they added any opposite to the original injector spot, but most on here don't do that anyway. Make sure your gasket seals correctly. It might be really close but you should be ok if it does.

1999 3.0L Cougar: 220fwhp and 200tq 2003 VW Passat W8 with 4 Motion AWD http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300644 PM for intrest in 3L SVT Contours, 3L swaps into your current car, Prepped 3L engines, or anything 3L related.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
...on a 3.0.Owners may want to take a look at the
nozzle hole position on an oval port injector Vs a
'split port' injector.Oval port 3.0 injectors have the
nozzle head clocked so the holes are always in the
same position...split port holes are random...which
poses the question ,if using a 'modded' oval port but
with the injector moved to the 'split port' position
should you 1)retain the oval port injector or 2)find
an injector to match the lbs' of a 3.0 oval port BUT
with the random spray pattern of a split port.Why does
the oval port injector have clocked holes on the
nozzle?....so that two of the 4 nozzle holes go in
each of the valve areas and not the 'center' portion
of the oval port....spray pattern and angle is very
important....

.....think,.....where do you guess the injector spray
should be on an oval port injector that feeds two
areas that have say a dimension of 55 MM port wall to
port wall fed by one injector in the middle Vs the
spray of an injector designed to spray on a smaller 30
MM port wall?...Think about the angle of the 4 sprays
on those injectors,where do you think they should fall
in relationship to the port...be it small & round or
oval and wide?....think about divergent spray angles
and why you want they spray in a specific area of the
port....think....Where is the injector sparaying in
YOUR port set up ?????

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Thank You!

This is exactly why I modeled my injector port after the stock setup ... because I'm using the stock injectors.

Might I suggest a scenario if you will: "aiming" the injector from the far left to try and inject into the far right will only result in slamming the fuel into the dividing wall. This will cause "some" fuel to get to the right port, "some" will be caught by the intake stream of air and pulled into the left port, but "some" will be slammed into the dividing wall and will because unsuspended (de-atomized). Proportions don't matter here ... assign "some" whatever value you want ... the fact remains that it's not ideal for atomization. Also consider the "turbulance" that is created from a split port UIM design dumping into an "expansion chamber" with a "shared" area between two seperated chambers. You will get some cross flow for sure, but I suspect that the majority of air will keep it's initial direction with a lot of boundary turbulance. Someone correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
....you have oval port heads with the injector in the
twin port position....the oval ports have had the
center section of the port ground away....ontop of the
intake ports/head you bolt a conventional twin port
LIM with the secodaries retained....what is the
air/fuel flow into the ports like with a closed
secodary...?...Picture this with a stoc twin port
injector with a narrow nozzle spray angle then picture
it with a wide angle 3.0 oval port injector......

...think about the velocity of the air coming thro
that single open LIM being split and fed to two open
valves via the oval port?....its direction ,velocity
and it's ability to atomise fuel from the offset
injector with unequal length spray paths?.....

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard