Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bigerik Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Anyone priced ball joints lately? My shyster of a mechanic told me the right front was bad. Of course, I am not letting him do it and will get a second opinion, but I am wondering what a good source for the parts would be? Anything else to check while doing it?
Thanks!
Erik

95 LX/SE V6 5 Speed NUN 1 http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588083 "The Contour SE is the best American car I have ever driven and one of the best cars period." Larry Griffin - C&D
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by bigerik:
Anyone priced ball joints lately? My shyster of a mechanic told me the right front was bad. Of course, I am not letting him do it and will get a second opinion, but I am wondering what a good source for the parts would be? Anything else to check while doing it?
Thanks!
Erik

Have you received any pricing yet Erik? I have a source in Brampton to which I bought the ones for my SVT. They carry two levels, Spicer being the better but more expensive, can't recall the brand that I got. Both carry long warranties, but I went with the cheaper ones because the warranty was just as good, and at the time, the Spicer ball joints were out of stock.

B
bigerik Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by cawong11:

Have you received any pricing yet Erik? I have a source in Brampton to which I bought the ones for my SVT. They carry two levels, Spicer being the better but more expensive, can't recall the brand that I got. Both carry long warranties, but I went with the cheaper ones because the warranty was just as good, and at the time, the Spicer ball joints were out of stock.

Hi Chris
This was my first inquiry. Don't even know for sure if it is bad, but I am betting that it is. The lesser of the two would probably work just great.
BTW, anyone have any rear calipers kicking around? Apparently one of mine is a little grabby...

95 LX/SE V6 5 Speed NUN 1 http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588083 "The Contour SE is the best American car I have ever driven and one of the best cars period." Larry Griffin - C&D
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Get re-maned calipers, they don't cost much. Chris can help you with those too.

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I can get the re-man'd calipers (thanks Rob), but we have to remember to keep the plastic caps (IIRC).

They don't cost a whole lot, but I would require the core.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by bigerik:
Thanks!
Erik

How many K's on the car?

Have the Control arms been replaced?

There's Nima here on the borards, he is selling new control arms (which have new ball joints installed) for $105 i think. But if your anywhere near high k's and the control arms have not been done, I recomend that. Chances are your bushings are close to shot.

96 LX 3.0L MTX - Black/Tan K&N; 12lb F/W & uprated clutch 2.5" Pipe; SVT bits; Mystery Mod; Pull-tie Mod; UN-tuned Mod; 3rd Gear Synro-Crunch Mod 280K on the Shell, and 40ish on the Motor... 1/4 mile?? Yeah, it's a fun daily driver...
B
bigerik Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Hi Guys
Turns out the calipers were not that bad afterall. When he got the new pads in, the calipers ended up working great. No need for the swap.
The car does have close to 170KM on it. How much uglier a job is it to do the whole control are as compared to the just the ball joint?

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
If you plan on keeping the car, do the lower control arms. Little bit more labour but with huge improvement overall and with 170, I'd be surprised if they arn't done already.

Last edited by touredon; 03/06/06 07:01 AM.

96 LX 3.0L MTX - Black/Tan K&N; 12lb F/W & uprated clutch 2.5" Pipe; SVT bits; Mystery Mod; Pull-tie Mod; UN-tuned Mod; 3rd Gear Synro-Crunch Mod 280K on the Shell, and 40ish on the Motor... 1/4 mile?? Yeah, it's a fun daily driver...
B
bigerik Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by touredon:
If you plan on keeping the car, do the lower control arms. Little bit more labour but with huge improvement overall and with 170, I'd be surprised if they arn't done already.

Have done some looking into the control arm thing and it sounds like a monster PITA to do. As I am undoubtedly the worlds worst mechanic, I would have to pay someone else to do it, and even my mechanic would not be cheap for a job like that.
You would think that Ford would have put some sort of quick release hardware, like on the wheels of bikes or something, on the subframe, cause it seems like anytime you have to do something more serious, you have to drop the damn thing!

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I replaced my 4 bolt LCA without any problems other than loosening the seriously rusted bolts. I never had issues with removing or replacing the bolts. I just jacked up the tranny about 1/2" and it gave me all the room I needed.

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard