Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
I'm about to replace the starter motor, and did a search in the earlier posts on how to do it. I removed the battery, battery tray, airbox, filter, the mass airflow sensor (?) section of the intake. But I can still barely even see the starter itself let alone try to take it out. Has anyone done it lately who can give me a quick rundown what to do next? Or is really the best approach to work kinda blind at this point and remove the bolts, etc like that? Also a list of recommended tools would be greatly appreciated.

'99 SVT (black)
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Remove the 2 bolts the connect the black cable to the starter. A 13mm and a 10 I think. The starter is bolted to the trans with 2 13mm bolts on the later models. A gear wrench is your friend here.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
First disconnect the battery and remove. Then remove the air cleaner assembly up the MAF. Then I partially drain the radiator and then remove the hoses that run over the starter. I tie back the large hose that goes to the radiator. the other two I loop back to the firewall. At that point you can reach the front bolt with closed end wrench. A 3/8" drive socket should be sufficent to remove the back bolt. I slip the starter out under the fuel lines. I know the book says to remove the fuel lines, I dont. That way the fuel system does not need recharged. I have gotten to the point that it is 40 minutes start to finish. The first time I was into the starter it took 10 mins. just to find the #$%$$# starter.

Good Luck Dan 96 SE 2.5 V-6 89 Silverado 4 x 4 with snow plow no rust
K
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Thanks for the info guys, I'll hopefully get to it this weekend!

'99 SVT (black)
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
Dan,
When you say "partially drain" the coolant, can you be more specific? There are a couple of hoses that run over the starter - are saying we should disconnect those and pour the radiator fluid into a container from that hose, or is there another way to do it without sending coolant all over the engine block?
I too would like to avoid messing with the fuel system.

Horsepower is more expensive than crack.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
drain it from the petcock underneath... OR.. just undo the hose and lift it up, tie it back and only lose about 2 oz, if you are quick!

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
im actually doing the same thing, and i didnt remove the fuel line, just unplug the big rad hose around there. the back 13mm was quit hard to get at first.. but i succeded to remove it, im currently waiting for the new one so i hope to replace it there will be as easy.

1998.5 Toreador Red/Midnight Blue Contour SVT - #5912/6535 - DOB - 05/11/1998 - RU-3530/CTA Intake Pipe MSDS Heaser/Y-Pipe Magnaflow #10435 9mm Ford racing SPEC Stage one/Spec Alum. Flywheel HERE

Link Copied to Clipboard