Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
just curious if anyone might now what that indicates??? i hope its not what i'm thinking???? checking the dipstick its normal color, heat works fine,it hasnt/doesnt overheat,there is alot of condesation coming out of my exhaust,no matter how long i leave it running...it has been sitting in my garage for the last five or more months....could it just be condensation in the valve covers?

Last edited by tour96SeVT; 03/03/06 03:52 AM.

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Not to scare you, but my wife's Toyota did that when she cracked the head. The anitfreeze mixed with the oil, causing a whitish/yellowish sludge on the oil cap. But since your's has sat for a while, it could be condensation I guess. Yo might want to try a compression test to rule out a Headgasket / head issue, though. Good luck,
Scott

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by getsum111:
Not to scare you, but my wife's Toyota did that when she cracked the head. The anitfreeze mixed with the oil, causing a whitish/yellowish sludge on the oil cap. But since your's has sat for a while, it could be condensation I guess. Yo might want to try a compression test to rule out a Headgasket / head issue, though. Good luck,
Scott

...thats what i'm fearing

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Were you having any coolant loss when you put it away for the winter?

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by getsum111:
Were you having any coolant loss when you put it away for the winter?

none..like i said,its never overheated,even during our spirited street tuning session...i have noticed,like i said there seems to be a unusuall amount of condensation coming out of the tail pipe's

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Don't Panic!

It's not a Toyota, so you don't have a cracked head.

It's just condensation caused by the engine not running enough to completely evaporate the moisture from the crankcase. When the engine is shut down, the moisture condenses in the highest, coolest point, ie, the oil cap and tube.

This is very common during cold weather on vehicles that are used for only short-haul driving or have been put away after short trips.

The problem will go away with spring or if you drive the car on a several hour trip.

In the meantime, don't worry about it.

As for the condensation from your exhaust, again, it's normal. Got any idea how much H2O is in ethanol or is produced by normal combustion? Again, spring will cut down on this.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Water in the oil is the only thing I can think of off hand!

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Don't Panic!

It's not a Toyota, so you don't have a cracked head.

It's just condensation caused by the engine not running enough to completely evaporate the moisture from the crankcase. When the engine is shut down, the moisture condenses in the highest, coolest point, ie, the oil cap and tube.

This is very common during cold weather on vehicles that are used for only short-haul driving or have been put away after short trips.

The problem will go away with spring or if you drive the car on a several hour trip.

In the meantime, don't worry about it.

As for the condensation from your exhaust, again, it's normal. Got any idea how much H2O is in ethanol or is produced by normal combustion? Again, spring will cut down on this.

Steve

Good advice, I wouldn't worry about moisture out the tailpipe as you pointed out, unless it were pouring out as the "whitish smoke".

I would agree that a good 1 hour drive time to burn off any water, or just change the oil and then see what happens after a good long drive. If any more shows up then it may have an issue.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black

Link Copied to Clipboard