Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
elraido Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
this just started a couple of days ago. Whenever I slow own and brake, the car has a nice metal grinding sound coming from the back right side (passenger). Also, while "looking" at it, the three other rottors on the car are hot to touch when I stop and that one is cool. I know I need new rotors on the back, but could this be caused by the caliper?

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
im taking it you have disc in the back right? look at the rotor see if it's all grinded up. if you have drums just pull them off and look at it. sounds like you do need new rear breaks. but them again my grinds sometimes then it doesnt. odd

1999 Ford Contour SE Zetec with 137k miles. AIM Name: ContourAlf Yahoo IM: Contour_Freak
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Seeing as how he said "the three other rotors," I'd imagine he has 4 wheel disc brakes.

Elraido, man, your car is about to disinigrate! Every post of yours talks about something else on your car that needs replaced. I feel for ya!

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Elraido, man, your car is about to disinigrate! Every post of yours talks about something else on your car that needs replaced.

You've gotta expect that from an 11 year old, deer killin', iron monster.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Are you sure you still have pad left? That's what will happen if you're on the backing plate.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
E
elraido Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I haven't been able to check the pads yet because of the lovely weather we are having. Why can't it just be summer already. I think thursday night I will run over to my freinds house who has a heated garage, jack the car up and check everything out. Ever since I hit that freakin deer, the car just hasn't been the same. Still runs smooth and shifts great, but being jobless for a little while lets the little things build up before you can fix them properly. From the inspection on the rotors, the rear ones aren't as smooth as the front ones and they still have a little bit of rust on them from sitting last spring. So, I am guessing the calipars aren't engaging as far as they should. And now that I think about it, I am fairly sure the previous owners only changed the pads once in its life time....so I am WAAAAAAAY over due. Time to get Stazi to send me some rotors and pads.

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Are you sure you still have pad left? That's what will happen if you're on the backing plate.

I got the same thing from my SVT. Out of the blue one day, my right rear rotor started making NASTY grinding noises. When I got out to look at it, I noticed the top of the rotor looked all tore up, followed by the rest of the rotor being clean (nothing touching there). I decided that with 55K miles on the stock brakes I would just replace all the pads/rotors.

Well, upon removal I noticed all the pads still had tons of material left (not even close to a min. acceptable amount), except the outside pad on the right rear. The pad had fallen off the backing plate. It tore up enough of the rotor that Im fairly sure it couldnt have been turned.

Oh well, Stazi brakes are in now and I should have to worry about that ish again for quite some time.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
E
elraido Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
so far that is almost exatly what it looks like from looking at it with the tire still on. Part of rotor is good and part is rusty.

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
That sounds just like mine except the outer 1/8" to 1/4" of the rotor was terrible looking, all ground up. Then a normal looking section, then a rusty stripe. Ill see if I can dig up an old pic.

Edit: Here it is, had to go to the back up HD for this one, lol

Last edited by KingpinSVT; 03/02/06 09:38 PM.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
E
elraido Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
looks the same except reversed....top rusty and the bottom normal. I know I NEED new rotors as well though. sigh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard