Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1514997 03/01/06 02:08 AM
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
I recently picked up a 1999 Contour SVT. 118,000 miles. The motor does not function. Is it possible to put in a basic 2.5L engine into a SVT. Do any modifications need to be done? What is involved? Any information would be helpful. Thank You!
-Mitch

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
Why would you do that?!?! Put a 3-Liter in it!

1998 SVT E0 T-Red/Midnight Blue --> SOLD 2000 SVT Black/Tan 84,000 on the clock
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Yeah dude, a 3.0 might even be cheaper.

98.5 SVT FOR SALE $5000
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
3L! dooooo eeeeet

And I agree, I think the 3L can be done cheaper than putting a 2.5L in it, even if its a non-SVT 2.5L, it will still cost more than a 3L

R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by cougarkid:
I recently picked up a 1999 Contour SVT. 118,000 miles. The motor does not function. Is it possible to put in a basic 2.5L engine into a SVT. Do any modifications need to be done? What is involved? Any information would be helpful. Thank You!
-Mitch

If I were you, I would pick up a non svt 2.5 L with low miles and put on as many of your svt engine parts as you can. Then add headers and nice exhuast. In my opinion, way less hassale and less $$$ to buy a non-svt 2.5L engine. I found one with 24,000 miles on it for $800. I bought an engine from the same place before. Great condition engines and properly stored... PM me for details. Place is in SE Michigan though.

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
OR.. for the same $800 you could find a nice 01-o2 (or even 03??) 3L engine with 6.5-7K miles on it, with cash left over!!

more horsepower and MORE TORQUE, instead of LESS HP and TQ than the original SVT engine. why pay MORE for LESS than you started out with, when you can pay LESS for MORE?

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I put in two 2.5L engines (not at once ). I searched around and found a shop that would do a swap for $500, and I paid $400 for the first engine (bad idea!) and $900 for the second (with warranty, from a good yard that actually tests). I had trouble finding places that were willing to try and drop in a 3.0L, even though I told them it went right in.

Now that I've seen so many 3.0L, I wish I had one! Do a little reading in the 3.0L forum to see what needs to be done, and call shops with a list in hand. You should be able to find someplace that will do the swap for similar money. If you can do that, then go 3.0L all the way. The engine is almost certainly going to be cheaper, and you're talking about a very significant power bump for free! Even if it's just a DD right now, it's simple enough that it's worth it. It's not like dropping a 302 into a Miata or one of those crazy swaps: it's essentially the same casting!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by JReebs96sport:
Originally posted by cougarkid:
-Mitch

If I were you, I would pick up a non svt 2.5 L with low miles and put on as many of your svt engine parts as you can. Then add headers and nice exhuast. In my opinion, way less hassale and less $$$ to buy a non-svt 2.5L engine. I found one with 24,000 miles on it for $800. I bought an engine from the same place before. Great condition engines and properly stored... PM me for details. Place is in SE Michigan though.

Worst noobie post evar! I know for a FACT it costs more to get a 2.5L motor. I got my 3L for 500$!

Reebs

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:

Worst noobie post evar! I know for a FACT it costs more to get a 2.5L motor. I got my 3L for 500$!

Reebs

Everywhere, all the time? Some places don't charge based on how rare parts are. Again, I only paid $400 for a 2.5L.

I do think the 3.0L is the way to go, but I don't believe it's always cheaper/easier. It may take more work and a little more money by the time you find a shop that will do it, and have them do the extra little things.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:

Reebs

Everywhere, all the time? Some places don't charge based on how rare parts are. Again, I only paid $400 for a 2.5L.

I do think the 3.0L is the way to go, but I don't believe it's always cheaper/easier. It may take more work and a little more money by the time you find a shop that will do it, and have them do the extra little things.

I'd never pay a shop to do it...it'd never be done right. If you can't do DIY...then yeah skipm the 3.0L

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard