Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
I would take a strong look at the coil. I had a bad coil on a Tempo that would work until hot then shut down. Let it cool and off it went, Town driving is generaly harder on a car because you do not get the airflow of highway driving. This can cause the engine and engine compartment to run at higher temps. The problem with checking the coil after the car has been sitting is that it will read fine. The check needs to be done as soon as the problem shows its head. Good time to get burned, so take precautions.

Good Luck Dan 96 SE 2.5 V-6 89 Silverado 4 x 4 with snow plow no rust
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome Jimboh. . Mileage, auto or manual, V6 or I4 and what model year?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
J
1995 Mercury Mystique, 2.5 V6 ATX, original owner (100,000 miles) - long time reader first time poster

I like the idea of the coil, and have experienced this problem on older vehicles with a single coil. I think this vehicle has three coil packs and could it be possible for all three to fail or fault at the same time? I can do a spark test next time it dies, but the problem seems like a sensor / fuel or fuel delivery problem.

Work I have done recently (thanks to this forum) in an attempt to fix the problem:

check for vaccum leaks with carb cleaner (none that I could find), replace spark plugs OEM, replace fuel filter, TB EGR passage cleaning, IAC cleaning (idle was always fine though), Test IAT sensor - tested fine, Replace ETC sensor (the one I pulled tested fine but replaced anyway), Replace PCV valve (check rubber hose - ok)

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Did you put in Bosch +4's?!!!!!!!!! That's your issue. Get those things out of there. Get some Autolite APP764's or some Champions. Plugs need to be double plats. IMO the only reason the Duratec misfires is poor plugs and wires. It might like one brand and not another. Seems to be touchy to certain combinations.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Well, like I said, changed plugs, wires, some temperature sensor this winter that made it the engine race when you started it in reall cold wheter, an intake manifold gasket, the fuel rail pressure sensor. It runs like a champ until the outside air temp gets to about 75-80F. Then it just will run for awile and then die. Operating temp doesn't seem to matter in that as long as the outside air temp is cool, it will run forever and not miss a beat. Tried to get a fuel pressure test gauge on it tonight to check the fuel pump, but isn't that a great angle, crap that is frustrating, dropped the schrader fitting into a crack that is unreachable so had to order another.

Better to ask a question and be THOUGHT a fool for 5 minutes than to never ask and BE a fool for life.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Contour_dave:
... It runs like a champ until the outside air temp gets to about 75-80F. Then it just will run for awile and then die. Operating temp doesn't seem to matter in that as long as the outside air temp is cool, it will run forever and not miss a beat. ...

Originally posted by Tony2005:
... Would plugged exhaust (cat/pre-cat) cause the symptoms to become noticeably worse in warm weather?

No. If it weather related, most probably a vacuum leak or Intake Air Temperature sensor problem.

Originally posted by Tony2005:
... How do you test the temperature sensor...any quick and easy ways?

Thanks

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/f8/0900823d801bcaf8.jsp

According to Haynes, at 38 F, the resistance should be 35 to 40 K-ohms, at 182 F (1.9 to 2.5 K-ohms) and 218 F (1.0 to 1.3 K-ohms).

And since the PCM uses both the MAF and IAT to determine the amount of fuel to achieve the ideal air/fuel mixture ratio, you might as well clean the MAF sensor while you are at it.

MAF sensor
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=36
and
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=zetecmaint&Number=989728&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
and
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/25/0900823d801bcb25.jsp

Check/change the Intake Air Temperature sensor and Mass Air Flow sensor.

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/30/06 01:33 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
J
My problem turned out to be the fuel pump. Pressure was low, only 20 psi. Should be 35 - 40 psi I am told. For some reason this caused only sporadic issues. All better now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard