Next Thread
Print Thread
X
xkeithx Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
X
ok i read the faq and i see this talk about a bypass harness, and then i see someone mentioning not using the built-in amp in the new head unit. so my question is this: if i go buy a new pioneer cd player (for example) to replace my factory head unit, am i going to use the pioneer amp, or the silver amp behind my glovebox? it seems to me that the silver one would be better as its bigger and would probably dissipate heat more efficiently. i dont want an aftermarket amp or subs but i am considering getting aftermarket speakers in the doors. i dont care about the complexity of the wiring, soldering is easy and im not going to revert back to the factory setup, just wondering if i should keep the factory amp or not.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by xkeithx:
ok i read the faq and i see this talk about a bypass harness, and then i see someone mentioning not using the built-in amp in the new head unit. so my question is this: if i go buy a new pioneer cd player (for example) to replace my factory head unit, am i going to use the pioneer amp, or the silver amp behind my glovebox? it seems to me that the silver one would be better as its bigger and would probably dissipate heat more efficiently. i dont want an aftermarket amp or subs but i am considering getting aftermarket speakers in the doors. i dont care about the complexity of the wiring, soldering is easy and im not going to revert back to the factory setup, just wondering if i should keep the factory amp or not.

No. The factory amp is really crappy. People either remove it and sell it on ebay, or they just bypass it. It will really kill the sound quality from your new head unit. I took my amp out of my car when I put in my headunit and ran the door speakers off that for a few weeks till I got around to installing an amp for my door speakers.

In short: Do NOT use the factory amp, its horrible sounding.

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
that factory amp is puke. just about any new HU would sound great and would be a great upgrade.

1998 Contour Svt Born 5/12/97 #897 of 6535 Those who think, are conquered, Those who act, conquer.
X
xkeithx Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
X
ok cool. the car didnt have a stereo in it so i havent had a chance to listen. what color wires (coming off of the factory amp) go to which speakers?

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard