Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
...I decided I would post my PROBLEM w/ gas mileage.

I used to own a 1991 Taurus 3.0L. Got me about 15mpg in the city, and about 19mpg on the highway. Crappy. I had hoped to get much better gas mileage in my new Contour. Not the case. I get about 20mpg in the city turtle style (slow) and 16mpg rabbit style (fast, obv). On the highway it isn't much better. On a 2 hour trip to Des Moines, I only got 25mpg.

My girlfriends dad is a mechanic, and says I need an oil change and possibly new spark plugs. Would that increase my gas mileage, or is there something else wrong here?

95 Contour LX Zetec Project "2.0" starting soon! LOOKING FOR: SVT Rear Bumper SE Lip Spoiler If you're selling either of these send me a PM - formerly known as Purple95LX -
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
yes those would help. But a 95 lx has a duratec engine...right? You would also want to change your air filter, fuel filter, spark plug wires, run a bottle of barrymans or seafoam threw the gas tank.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I just posted this info in one of the other threads...

Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Dirty MAF, clogged fuel injectors, dying O2 sensor. All could hurt MPG.

You should also check your plugs, air filter, and fuel filter.

Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Originally posted by striker2:
whats whould be the best way to go about cleaning the injectors.

With that many miles, I'd replace them. If you don't have the cash, find a shop that can clean them. This involves removing the injectors, hooking them up in a jig, and running pressurized cleaner through them. The pour-in-the-gas-tank cleaners are only really good for minor buildup and must be done on a regular basis to work.

When your injectors get gummed up, the fuel doesn't come out in a fine spray anymore. Instead, it comes out in drops. Not good.

Contact Bill J. for a price on new ones. He should be able to get you a great deal.

Also, clean your MAF. It can be done in about 15 minutes.

HTH,
BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Nah, my LX has the Zetec. And I will do those things, thank you.

95 Contour LX Zetec Project "2.0" starting soon! LOOKING FOR: SVT Rear Bumper SE Lip Spoiler If you're selling either of these send me a PM - formerly known as Purple95LX -
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
How many miles do you have on it?

BTW, welcome to the CEG! A bunch of my relatives live in Waterloo. My uncle own's Gary's Restaurant (used to be called Garfield's). He's the owner/chef and my aunts and cousins help out there quite a bit. Stop on by, they have kick-a$$ pies. Anywho...

Later,
Ben

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard