Next Thread
Print Thread
S
snakous Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
My friend drives a 99 LX (rear drums). Recently, he had to slam on the brakes really hard (he didn't tell me why). Now when he hits the brakes the pedal goes all the way to the floor. Any ideas of what it might be? I was thinking possibly a blown line or air leak? Or do you think he just effed up the pads that bad, although I don't think that would cause the pedal to go all the way to the floor.

TIA,

-Jake

Jake 96 T-Red SE V6
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Could be a couple of things.

First, it could be that it was a bit more than "slamming on the brakes" and he overheated them, boiling the fluid, creating air in the lines.

or, it is also possible that slamming on the brakes activated the ABS, and certain ABS modules (can't remember for sure if this is the case w/ the Contour module) have internal passages where fluid can be locked away, and if they weren't bled out at some point, an ABS activation can release the air into the rest of the system.

Either way, the solution is a thourough bleed of the brake system.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Do the brakes still work at all? If they're very soft, but functional, it's probably trapped air, like Rara said, which a good flush will clean out.

How much fluid is in the reservoir? If it ran low that could do this, and if there's a leak you'll be low/out of fluid.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Is is possible he FUBAR'ed the master cylinder?

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Rara:
Could be a couple of things.

First, it could be that it was a bit more than "slamming on the brakes" and he overheated them, boiling the fluid, creating air in the lines.

or, it is also possible that slamming on the brakes activated the ABS, and certain ABS modules (can't remember for sure if this is the case w/ the Contour module) have internal passages where fluid can be locked away, and if they weren't bled out at some point, an ABS activation can release the air into the rest of the system.

Either way, the solution is a thourough bleed of the brake system.

This is your best advice. Start with a thorough bleed/flush. If that doesn't resolve it, look further, but start with making sure you have no air in the system and that you have no major leaks.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Is is possible he FUBAR'ed the master cylinder?

Possible, but definately not the most likely.

Also, I suppose I really should say, that my recommendation is assuming that there is no obvious damage to the system. Do an inspection of the system to make sure nothing is obviously leaking or damaged and follow that w/ a full system bleed.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Think he may have popped a wheel cylinder?

Similar thing happened in my mom's Pontiac 6000... hit the brakes kinda hard, pedal went to the floor, fluid leakin out the drums.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard