Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1513656 02/27/06 03:06 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
i just ordered a zetec mtx75 for $150 shipped to be a donor for the FD ratio for my duratec mtx75.

i know the ring gear is easy to install, after all i did install the torsen myself.

now the pinion gear is what im wondering about, how had is it to install, and what kinda special tools do i need?

thanks,
Russell

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
#1513657 02/27/06 03:22 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
{TH}My ongoing concern with the DIY on any MTX75 is ,as I have said in the past,a lot of the info in the transaxle forum is totally incorrect, that along with bad info from other owners is leading owners down the wrong path and getting them in deep s**t when they tear down an MTX. I interce when I see rubbish being posted and incorrect info be thrown out by those who know little of the MTX....no axe to grind here but for goodness sake stop taking the 'simple' view of an MTX. Either speak from experience or genuine understanding of the gearbox or say nothing. This guy followed the masses re 'you only need a ring gear' and got into deep s**t...which tells you, in most cases, the masses knowledge of the MTX75 is weak at best..I have a 'few' under my belt so I think I may know a little more...

...with the FDR change, could get himself in deep trouble he if he doesn't know what level of output shaft he has in the existing trans, but WTF do I know!!!!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1513658 02/27/06 03:30 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
ive talked to terry before about the upgrade and quite frankly cannot afford it.

im a mechanic by trade so i think i have a better shot at getting this right than the basic DIYer. thats why i bought a zetec mtx75 because i know you need both gears, and im not gonna make the mistake the other guy did on here by just changing 1 gear

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
#1513659 02/27/06 03:42 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
...with a donor trans ,of the correct level he may be OK ....but again it does depend on the existing level of output shaft.Also using the early level '2 piece' output shaft assy does have its down sides....

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1513660 02/28/06 12:09 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
i just ordered a zetec mtx75 for $150 shipped to be a donor for the FD ratio for my duratec mtx75.

i know the ring gear is easy to install, after all i did install the torsen myself.

now the pinion gear is what im wondering about, how had is it to install, and what kinda special tools do i need?

thanks,
Russell

HOLD UP! NOWHERE in the DIY parts list is it said that the ZETEC final drive is an option!!!

Only about 1% of the DIY'rs out there should think about doing that mod as you need differnt parts, special tools and knowledge to do this. For the most part I'd say the zetec FD is not a smart option anyway unless you have a lot of power.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1513661 02/28/06 01:18 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by warmonger:
Originally posted by Russell-3L:

thanks,
Russell

HOLD UP! NOWHERE in the DIY parts list is it said that the ZETEC final drive is an option!!!

Only about 1% of the DIY'rs out there should think about doing that mod as you need differnt parts, special tools and knowledge to do this. For the most part I'd say the zetec FD is not a smart option anyway unless you have a lot of power.

Why is in not a good idea unless you have alot of power?

PLEASE HELP ME GET MY CAR TOGETHER! ITS IN DAYTON OHIO! I need the motor together and in the car so i can DRIVE it! Pleeeeeese! diamond pistons for 3.0/forsale #702 of 2150
#1513662 02/28/06 02:31 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
The ratio is lower. less turns per minute than the standard FD means a lower reving engine (better on gas on the freeway, etc), longer runs through each gear, higher mph in each gear at redline, etc. (for instance, it allows a 60mph speed before the 2-3 shift)

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1513663 02/28/06 03:25 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Ray:
The ratio is lower. less turns per minute than the standard FD means a lower reving engine (better on gas on the freeway, etc), longer runs through each gear, higher mph in each gear at redline, etc. (for instance, it allows a 60mph speed before the 2-3 shift)

yeah 60 in second is nice...my accord does this and its a blast....

PLEASE HELP ME GET MY CAR TOGETHER! ITS IN DAYTON OHIO! I need the motor together and in the car so i can DRIVE it! Pleeeeeese! diamond pistons for 3.0/forsale #702 of 2150
#1513664 02/28/06 05:15 AM
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by todras:
{TH}My ongoing concern with the DIY on any MTX75 is ,as I have said in the past,a lot of the info in the transaxle forum is totally incorrect, that along with bad info from other owners is leading owners down the wrong path and getting them in deep s**t when they tear down an MTX. I interce when I see rubbish being posted and incorrect info be thrown out by those who know little of the MTX....no axe to grind here but for goodness sake stop taking the 'simple' view of an MTX. Either speak from experience or genuine understanding of the gearbox or say nothing. This guy followed the masses re 'you only need a ring gear' and got into deep s**t...which tells you, in most cases, the masses knowledge of the MTX75 is weak at best..I have a 'few' under my belt so I think I may know a little more...

...with the FDR change, could get himself in deep trouble he if he doesn't know what level of output shaft he has in the existing trans, but WTF do I know!!!!

are you talkin about me?

holy crap dude, i didnt mean to piss you off.....

Cougar is no more, parts for sale. Built escape 3.0 w/ 8.5:1 pistons, PnP heads, ovalport/mazda6 cams, SVT manifolds, the works entire car for sale PM me if you want a part!!!
#1513665 02/28/06 05:43 AM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Instigator:
Originally posted by todras:

are you talkin about me?

holy crap dude, i didnt mean to piss you off.....

I don't think he is pissed at you...

Simply stating that there is a lot of misinformation and your the most recent example of that misinformation!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard