Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1513376 02/27/06 03:58 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I've been thinking about doing a 302 swap/conversion with my Contour, but I'm not sure if the swap will work. I don't know if I want to leave it FWD or convert it to RWD if the swap is possible. I suppose that anything is possible if you've got the money, or a big enough hammer, but what do you guys think? Do it? Or do something else? And if something else, what?

1999 Ford Contour SE Maroon Stock
C
C
That'd be pretty sweet to have a rwd tour with a small block. That would be the ultimate sleeper.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by contourspd98:
That'd be pretty sweet to have a rwd tour with a small block. That would be the ultimate sleeper.

and be the ultimate bank account breaker

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
People have done them with focuses, so I would imagine you could do it with our car too. From what I remember from the focus swap conversion, they changed all the suspension, steering, everything, which would be a good idea since the car would act diffrently. I think for the focus it was like 20kish for the parts. You can google it, and see if you get any ideas. If I had money to spend id love to have a rwd contour!!!

1995 ford contour v6 5 speed , even though its not mine yet... http://www.cardomain.com/id/hyperlitenerd
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by hyperlitenerd:
People have done them with focuses, so I would imagine you could do it with our car too. From what I remember from the focus swap conversion, they changed all the suspension, steering, everything, which would be a good idea since the car would act diffrently. I think for the focus it was like 20kish for the parts. You can google it, and see if you get any ideas. If I had money to spend id love to have a rwd contour!!!

focus'es also have a 'tunnel' down the middle of them to allow room for a driveshaft, last time i checked a contour didn't have this.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
The contour has a tunnel. It's just not very big. The 302 "will" fit with some mods under the hood well, at least between the fenderwells. The firewall needs some modding that can be hidden with the center console. I never had a hood on the clip so I'm not sure about hood clearance. A 4.6 will not fit without tower surgery. I had a boneyard front clip I was trying all this out on and it can be done. Just a question of how much? How much do you love the car, and of course how much $$ and time. The direction to look is a 302, 5 speed, (smaller) and a lincoln or explorer IRS. That way you dont have to worry so much about driveshaft movement. And the radiator will most likely have to go in front of the support. I still have the 302, 5 speed and a lincoln IRS in the shed but will not be going forward for a while longer as I'm too busy on other projects now. (and work)

Jim T

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I love these threads, it always starts off great, and then someone comes and whips out a big handfull of reality.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Tourige:
I love these threads, it always starts off great, and then someone comes and whips out a big handfull of reality.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I'm not even gonna say anything other than:

Get a clue (especially with the FWD 302 comment)

Talk about hitting the crack pipe.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
i wouldn't even try it-- unless you like your daily driver and your bank account-- the time and money would be rediculous, and thats if you get it to work well

Black '99 CSVT #741 of 2760 Magnaflow:Knauberized:Mirko:Tinted25%:FogMod:B&G SportSprings:IndigloHvac/Headlight
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard