Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
This oneâ??s for all the people that know who this oneâ??s for.

Thanks to Tom for making the design and me for making it correct.

300mm front rotors and 280mm rear rotors using the stock calipers. This would work on any stock disc brake car. (including ~98.5+ SVTâ??s)

300mm SVT Focus front rotors with E1 rims that even have inner wheel weights.

280mm Bendix (ex)front rotors on the rear.

There are larger pictures on my website.

I have had them on for nearly 2000 brutal miles that includes: repetitive 60-0 testing, high spade fade testing, my typical driving, etc. My pad wear is ideal as shown on the rotors. I have had every thing apart numerous times to check every thing. All the hardware is grade 10, the spacers are non-ferrous stainless steel, the front adapter bracket is 1/2" & the rear is 3/8� - both high carbon plate steel. The adapter brackets are painted with high temp black paint. The OEM caliper brackets, calipers, & rotors are painted with silver VHT.
I have Stainless Steel lines. I consider these a must due to the fact that the caliper position is rotated radially.

The improvement in braking is a lot better then I expected. The average braking distance over 10 stops, which factors in fade, dropped nearly 20 feet. My best one time braking distance improved 8 feet, from 124 to a very tire limited 116. Stock was 131 feet. The fade resistance is just excellent at any speed.
I tested the previous brake setup right before I did the changes. I was running Bendix CT3 pads and rotors. I first tested the change to 300mm fronts and performance ceramic pads. I then installed the 280mm rears (my old Bendix fronts) with KVR pads. I went with KVR over â??stockishâ? pads because during the testing I was doing I had noticed the brake bias was still a bit imbalanced towards the front. With the higher CoF KVR pads the rear now feels more stable under hard braking and any braking in the corners.
I have included the braking data from AutoSpec Rotors and Bendix T2 pads. (from Stazi a while ago) My car was a bit lighter & had 225/50 KDW tires when I did that testing. My car has gained a few pounds back in its old age. Luckily Iâ??ve lost a couple myself.
I flushed the fluid at the beginning and between every test. Iâ??m using ATE super blue. It is quite good as many others already know.

The test runs are two groups of five consecutive 60-0 mph stops. There is roughly a five minute period of moderate driving, for me, between the groups in order to go back and repeat them in order again. I feel this is a very good indication of fade. I also think that using the average braking number results this way is a better barometer of the braking systems real ability. Call it braking under the curve. The average also is also an indicator of how they would handle stops from higher speeds as well.

The weather and my camera have both sucked recently so I do not have any good car pictures. (side view) I'm fixing the camera part because I should have my new one in a few days. In the mean time here is an okay side view picture I took on the way home today. Better ones soon hopefully.

Looks stock doesn't it? I love that.

I updated my pages.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
GREAT work guys. Can't wait to get my hands on some of these parts.

10 fade stops........hmmm, looks like someone has and idea about FMVSS-105 testing.

I'll put holes in him!!
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Greg, your brakes link on your site is no workee.

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
OMFG...I am sooo glad you guys did this!

I JUST bought BRAND new calipers...Goodridge lines for all 4 corners. Now I need these brackets...when can I buy these!?

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Finally you get a dang full length shot of the car so I can actually see how they look on stock wheels. I'm so proud......
Very Nice write-up Demon, and of course the braking data was everything I was hoping for!

So how did this come about?
For those of you frequent the brake forums, you'll see an old post I started that is several years old about using FSVT rotors with stock caliper brackets.
Well, in the time since then I was deployed for a year, I started to pick up the project, then gave up because I ran into limitations.
After I really started needing brakes this past summer from turbo kit enhancement #3... ; I decided I needed better brakes in a hurry.
And then I found that just to get a quality high performance braking system like the TCE setup to fit my Focus Rims, I was looking down the barrel of $1800 with no guarantees that they would fit well or clear the wheel without a significant amount of work. The rotor size was also limited to the 12.2" and such. The rears were fine but I didn't want beautiful rears with cheap azzed fronts. And bottom line, I didn't need true racing car brakes, only something better than stock to compensate for all that increased power I had (That Ray now has). So if I couldn't fit the higher quality brakes kits and still keep the rims, then I wasn't going to spend that kind of cash and STILL end up having to swap out my rims.

So I started again on this project. I sunk a chunk of change into parts and started to build a setup on a hub I had bolted to the bench. Well, the first design failed and I decided screw it that I would order the FSVT front hardware and give up.
I kid you not, while the parts were en route from Bill Jenkins, I was just daydreaming about the first design and I slapped myself on the forehead for being so dumb as I got a revelation. This time all I did was "think out of the box" and I made the design work by offsetting the calipers. I had already done all the hard measurements within 10 minutes I had the first "New" Design sketch and I was confident with some more R&D it would work.
So then I went on to design rear brake bracketry using similar desings and when ahead and built a set for the rears. Again I put out some cash and lots of time and built a set of rears. I got them working, tested and when matched with the FSVT front kit and stainless steel lines I had what for me was the best braking car I'd ever had.

But I already had FSVT fronts now and I just wanted to see the front project to completion so I contacted Demon about taking the basic raw hardware kit I would put together and then making all necessary modifications to actually get it to work, and of course to do all the testing on it. Plus he had stock rims so that was a big factor.
Well, he ran into some challenges but I was confident with his skills that he would overcome them. And boy did he! There were some days that would have just made an ordinary man give up or some people to start bitching and quit.
Well he was bitching lol, but he never quit and because of his work the kit became finalized.
Congrats to him.

PS: Make no mistake, if I were wealthy this project would never have happened. The TCE Brake kit is some great stuff and if you want the ultimate in brakes for our car then go for it.
If you are a Focus SVT brakes kinda guy then this is going to be a good solution should I choose to release this for the general CEG'r/NECO'r

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Nice! I have the FSVT front kit. Still waiting to get rotors for a good price so I can install it with my SS lines. So you guys built a custom bracket so the front caliper would fit in the rear?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
In a nutshell? yes, they did.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by todras:
So you guys built a custom bracket so the front caliper would fit in the rear?

Looks like the rear caliper is being used. I wouldn't want to lose the parking brake

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by todras:
Nice! I have the FSVT front kit. Still waiting to get rotors for a good price so I can install it with my SS lines. So you guys built a custom bracket so the front caliper would fit in the rear?

The ROTORS are used on the back, calipers stay stock. If have a set of CSVT rotors you'll be set to do the backs.

The hardware is designed to use the stock caliper, bracketry and pads on the front (including lines but SS lines rec.) and with some modification install a 300mm FSVT rotor.
Then the former front rotor can be turned and with a little modification to it and the rear caliper bracket, and you will use the former fornt rotor on the rear.
The change in rotor size on both the front and the rear at the same time essentially keeps the same percentage of brake bias front to rear as was designed stock, only with a lot more stopping power and fade resistance.
It also saves you the money of having to buy rear rotors.

So you buy FSVT front rotors, the hardware kits, new pads if necessary, SS lines if you want, then that is it.
However, the conversion requires some tools and mechanical skills.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Well, I am up for the 'kit' if you decide to make it. Just say the word.

I had planned on the FSVT front kit already, and have aquired the rear disk setup for conversion, so this will enhance plans for the car.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard