Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1512118 02/25/06 06:17 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by mean'tour:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Something strange happened to me twice over the past 3 days. I was accelerating like away from a light, and as I let out the clutch, the whole car jerked like I had just popped the clutch out suddenly, but I don't think I did.

If I'm not nuts and it really happened, is this a symptom of something, except my slippery shoes or something?

It's pretty cold here, if that makes a difference.

I will be very conscious of what I'm doing and watch for it for the next little while. Am I just nuts?

Any ideas?

It has happened 1 other time over the weekend. Any ideas? Is something slipping/ worn out, etc? I did have the clutch rebuilt/ replaced in the past 2 years and within 40K miles.

Any ideas? Please say it is something simple that I can do on my own!

Anyone? It's like as I was moving forward I hit the clutch down. Is it slipping or something? Could the engine be stumbling? I don't have a CEL.

I'm going to get rearended one of these times. Any ideas?
----------------------------------------------------------

***Don't kill me for cross posting. I'm not getting any help/ suggestions in the Transaxle forum, and know that the NE peeps can always be counted on... *** ***

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1512119 02/25/06 07:47 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I was getting a bit of clutch chatter a few nights ago when we had that cold snap. It went away after a few mins and since it's warmer now, completely gone. Worried the hell outta me at the time but now I think it was just weather related.

#1512120 02/25/06 09:06 PM
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
if you feel some sort of knocking comming outa your pedal or hear screeechy noise upon starting the car..then yes your clutch is saying bye bye bye

#1512121 02/25/06 10:37 PM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
it was probably just clutch chatter. When you're letting the clutch out when you take off there is a point where the speed of the flywheel (engine) and the clutch plate (transmission) and the pressure on the clutch are just right where rather than slide or slip past eachother it does a slip, grab, slip grab thing and thats where the shaking comes from. Its something that is more common on large clutches like on big trucks.

When it happens there's 2 things you can do, let off the gas a little to let the engine's rpm drop and equal the rpm of the transmission so you can let the clutch the rest of the way out, or push the clutch in and try letting it out again.

There's 3 major things that can cause chatter. A warped flywheel or pressure plate casued by overheating. An oil leak that is lubricating the clutch. Or the way you let the clutch out.

A worn out clutch will be more likely to slip in higher gears than in lower gears. You'll know when its clutch time when you're under hard acceleration and letting the clutch out fast while on the gas real hard and the engine doesn't come down to where it should for that gear until a quick second after you let the clutch all the way out. When that happens, stop going hard immediately and go easy on it and make arrangements to have the clutch changed as soon as possible becasue you're on borrowed time. The clutch lining is very thin and the rivets are very close or are hitting the flywheel, the lining could crack and fly apart and then you'll have to call a tow truck. I've nursed a bad clutch for a month waiting for warmer weather so I could change it comfortably.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
#1512122 02/25/06 11:09 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by JSmith:
it was probably just clutch chatter. When you're letting the clutch out when you take off there is a point where the speed of the flywheel (engine) and the clutch plate (transmission) and the pressure on the clutch are just right where rather than slide or slip past eachother it does a slip, grab, slip grab thing and thats where the shaking comes from. Its something that is more common on large clutches like on big trucks.

When it happens there's 2 things you can do, let off the gas a little to let the engine's rpm drop and equal the rpm of the transmission so you can let the clutch the rest of the way out, or push the clutch in and try letting it out again.

There's 3 major things that can cause chatter. A warped flywheel or pressure plate casued by overheating. An oil leak that is lubricating the clutch. Or the way you let the clutch out.

A worn out clutch will be more likely to slip in higher gears than in lower gears. You'll know when its clutch time when you're under hard acceleration and letting the clutch out fast while on the gas real hard and the engine doesn't come down to where it should for that gear until a quick second after you let the clutch all the way out. When that happens, stop going hard immediately and go easy on it and make arrangements to have the clutch changed as soon as possible becasue you're on borrowed time. The clutch lining is very thin and the rivets are very close or are hitting the flywheel, the lining could crack and fly apart and then you'll have to call a tow truck. I've nursed a bad clutch for a month waiting for warmer weather so I could change it comfortably.

I don't really feel like I'm driving any differently. It only happens at slow speeds for instance, from a stop moving very slowly in traffic or something.

I'll start looking for an oil-leak. I need to change the oil in the next 2 weeks, so I'll look around some while I'm under there. I did recently (in the past 4 months or so) have a leak and I changed out my oil pan gasket, stopping the leak. But it could be leaking elsewhere.

By overheating, do you mean like engine overheating? Or clutch overheating? I have never overheated in this car, and don't really drive it hard... When I got the clutch done a couple of years ago, they replaced the fly wheel. (not that it couldn't have gone bad...)

What other symptoms should I be looking for?

Thanks! I knew the NE crew would come through, with at least some ideas!

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1512123 02/26/06 04:42 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Overheating = Clutch overheating. I also don't think an oil pan leak would cause any problems with a clutch. If your rear main seal is leaking though... that would definitly not be good. That would be evident by oil dripping from the point where the trans. mates up with the block.

For Sale 98+ SVT gauge cluster '98 Mystique LS 2.5l 5spd
#1512124 02/26/06 05:39 AM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by ctmystique:
Overheating = Clutch overheating.

you got it, thats what I meant and unless you drive like an animal or spend lots of time in traffic you won't overheat the clutch. if you do you'll smell it.

Originally posted by ctmystique:
I also don't think an oil pan leak would cause any problems with a clutch. If your rear main seal is leaking though... that would definitly not be good. That would be evident by oil dripping from the point where the trans. mates up with the block.

Right, an oil pan leak won't likely casue it but on some vehicles it is possible. A rear main seal, clutch slave cylinder or transmission input shaft leakage can all generate enough oil deposits on the clutch to cause chatter. But unless you see oil drops forming on the drain hole at the bottom of the inspection plate you don't have anything to worry about.

If the clutch hydraulic system gets air in it, that could cause it too. It is possible that the oil in the resivor got too low and let air into the system. On the Contour the clutch and the brakes share the same resivor. The clutch is connected by a hose that attaches to the resivor on the side of the driverside fender, there's a little nipple that sitcks out of the side of the resivor with a hose attached to it that attaches to the clutch master cylinder. Take a look at the kinda clear resivor and make sure that the oil level is at least above where this hose attaches or preferably at the MAX line, if it is then you can probably rule out the possibility of air in the system.

With this recent cold spell we had I'd say that its very likely that low temperatures played a big role in the chatter becasue everything works different to one degree or another when it gets real cold. When I had my SVT if I was a little to light with the clutch on cold days it would give a little shimmy while taking off from a stop.

In your case I wouldn't worry, just be aware of it to make sure it doesn't get any worse and see if you can notice a pattern with chatter vs cold weather. If it goes away when its warm and somes back when it gets real cold then I'd say don't worry about it. Just do what you need to in order to keep the chatter to a minimum when it is happening.

If you start loosing sleep over it then have the clutch inspected to make sure its in good shape.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
#1512125 03/01/06 02:32 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
So, I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I'm thinking so. This morning at a stop, it died. Started right back up, but that was weird.

Any ideas? I'm going to be beneath the car this weekend and will look for oil leaks, but with this kill I'm wondering if it isn't something else.

I have no CEL and it seems to run fine.

#1512126 03/05/06 02:04 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
So, I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I'm thinking so. This morning at a stop, it died. Started right back up, but that was weird.

Any ideas? I'm going to be beneath the car this weekend and will look for oil leaks, but with this kill I'm wondering if it isn't something else.

I have no CEL and it seems to run fine.

I might be a little paranoid, but my car is feeling strange lately. It has died several times. Always in 1st slowly pulling away from a stop. A couple of other times I was able to catch it and give it gas or clutch...

ANY IDEAS ?!?! I feeling a lot of movement, like I need motor mounts, could that have something to do with it? Will replacing the front and rear roll resistors fix that movement problem? I know I can pull those (the others mounts I'm not sure about).

Also I've noticed something else. Seems electrical. As I'm coming to a stop, have the clutch in and braking, as the revs come down to idle, the lights dim and the fan (it's cold here right now) slows for a half second, then once it hits idle it seems to be fine again. The revs aren't dropping below idle (750 ish) ...

Maybe I'm just paranoid. I'm getting a little concerned about my baby.

#1512127 03/05/06 10:30 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Something is going on, and I don't even know where to start.

Twice today (and I only drove to and from church with the kiddies) it tried to stall. Once in a drive-thru window it struggled to idle then idled fine. Then once as I was turning onto my street, so slowing clutch in, braking. This time I watched and felt the idle going all over the place. 1200, 650, 1000, 1400 then it seemed to stabilize.

Any ideas? Sorry to be a pain. Fuel problem maybe? My fuel filter is a little less than a year old.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard