Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Well, for those of you that know I got new Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires 225 50 16 and they were mounted today. Well, they definitly rub. Just barley on the suspoension, not the fender, so I am thinking put a spacer in there? I thought they were supposed to be ok going on and no rub at all..... anyway, where would I get a spacer and would that work? everything suspersion wise is stocka nd if it matters the rims are from a 99 SVT. Need to know asap. thanks.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I've seen namebrand 5mm spacers on ebay for like $60. could go that route.

5 mm should be good if they're barely rubbing.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Allright, called Napa and its $30 for 4 spacers, not bad i guess. One more question though-are these gonna rub on the fender now? and will I be able to turn the wheel all the way in the front without a problem? I am seriously considering leaving them at 215, but really want to make the 225's work. Any input would be helpful.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I've got 225's on my rims that have a +35mm offset, which pushes the wheel out away from the car. The offset is a little much so I rub a bit on my rear fenders. My fronts have never rubbed at all, so I wouldn't worry about that.

In fact, since you said your 225's rub on your suspension, I'm willing to bet your wheels have an offset of upwards of +48mm or so. So slap on the 5mm spacers and you're probably closer to 40mm, which I think would be about optimal.

To be sure, go take a look at your wheels right now. Imagine them 5mm closer to your fenders. Will they rub?

B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I like your idea, and pretty sure it would work except for 2 relativley big problems-can't find any kind of store, shop, slum, whatever, in town that has them, and the other thing is that it has come to my attention that the wheel lugs are FLUSH with the lugnut, meaning that i have pretty much zero space for a spacer in terms of lug legnth. I could get longer bolts but that's more work than what I want to do to get the 225's to fit. So it looks like its 215s. The performance of those tires are good and they will be better in snow anyway, so thats a plus. So I'm sure if i looked hard enough online I could find spacers but securley fitting them to my wheel would be hard. But a very big thanks for your help and will post pics when they're mounted.

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I just checked the spec's on your tire at Tire Rack. I've run 225/50/16's on my stock EO rims for 12K Mi. I noticed that my rears have just BARELY hit the fender lip(prolly with load in back). Spec's on your tire: 9.2" section width. My Yoko AVS DB S2's 9" section width. Maybe that could be the issue? I know when I crawl underneth the car, it just misses the strut assy. But just .2"? Could be. What type of wheels are you running?

98 E0 #4100 18's n stuff 06 Mazda6s Sport Wagon 89 Thunderbird SC
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I think thats what did it. Because it just was rubbing enough to hear but the tire was still able to spin pretty freely. I am running 99 SVT rims (E1 I believe). However, found a solution I think but need a professional opinon (or at least one more professional then mine). I found spacers online guaranteed to fit the 4x108 pattern. The thing is that I have 2-3 threads showing on each lug bolt or whatever they're called. Will 5mm not allow the nut to tighten enough? I don't think that it will, but I really can't say for sure. Stupid lug bolts are so short. Anyway, input would be nice on this. I could always go with the 3mm spacer too. Other than that, I should be good to go.

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard