Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
In the absence of further advice and with the patently obvious staring me in the face, I rewired the coil pack today.

Not a terribly hard job thanks to the location of the PCM, but one which continues to frustrate me. As long as wires seemingly randomly keep going open, how am I to trust this car to drive it any distance... unless I replace the wiring harness, which sounds like a job.

Scott

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by avu3:
As long as wires seemingly randomly keep going open,

Does this mean that it runs now?

It is not typical for wires to the coils to open up, unless
the connector is corroded or the wire insulation was damaged fron proximity to the exhaust manifold. Waterproof any splices, put a little grease in the connector, and be sure the wiring is tied up safely and under no strain.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Yep, it runs now fine, no codes.

I had to rewire the IACV earlier this year, same deal, the ground was just open.

This may be all preceiptated by me moving the harness above the rear manifold to change the alt, but I inspected that pretty thorougly when the IACV failed.

Scott

A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
On the advice of Brian on the mailing list I found and inspected C178, a connector on the rear valve cover, passenger side.

Upon inspecting that connector the car will no longer start. I suspect that my wiring break is related to this connector and my moving the wires to inspect them and teh connector preciptated this latest disablement.

So now the car is dead again, but at least its dead under control and not stranding someone somewhere. Hopefully I can repair it when I get a weekend day without rain.

Scott

A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Dug into the wiring today. Found some of the pins in that connector a little cruddy, but tested continuity through the female side back to the various connectors (IAC, Coil) and the Male side back to the PCM. Despite stressing the wires could not find an open/short in any of them.

Re-seated connector 178 well (not easy, hard to get seated).

Removed the two bypass wires I added and drove the car for an hour. Repeated tests/stresses, still works fine.

Had a momentary instance of misfire on plug 6, but the wires look sort of old and tired so I was thinking of replacing them. I can't reproduce that misfire.

I'm wondering do to the inconsistent nature of the problem, and the fact that I've now troubleshot both the coil (replacement) and the wiring, plus it was also in the IAC circuit, if I need to worry about the PCM?

The goal here is a reliable car, and my wife drives it an hour away from home 2-3 times a week.

Thanks all,
Scott

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by avu3:

Re-seated connector 178 well (not easy, hard to get seated).
Scott

I agree, I had trouble when I replaced my fuel injector harness?
How many miles on the car? Do you see any signs of the bad insulation on any of the harnesses? I know you have a 98 but others have problems with their 98+. Unless you pull the connection at the PCM and unwrap the protective jacket to visualy inspect the wires going to the coils you probably will still have an intermittant problem. Did you see this link? It has a picture of the PCM harness.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=1121986&Forum=All_Forums&Words=259&Match=Username&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1121805&Search=true#Post1121986

A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Thanks, eepals. I remember reading that thread when it was new but didn't think about it again till you brought it up.

I did inspect the wiring I could get to - basically at the coil down to where it goes under the intake and right around the connector both back to the intake and down to the main harness.

I've also inspected at the PCM back unwrapping about 1' of it. Though the wires are more brittle than I'd like, there is no sign of cracking or failure. Everthing tests out ok when put under stress - bending, pulling, that sort of thing.

I hope to have found it, rewiring the thing is beyond my interest, though I suppose its easy enough if you remove the UIM and get to the fuel injectors.

Scott

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard