Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
Originally posted by SVTNupe:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
What is buggin' me is the press. They're reporting this like it was GW's deal or sup'm and I find that hard to swallow. The ports are not bought & sold by the feds are they? The ports down here have local port authorities or are privately owned. Is that unusual or sup'm?

According to one commentator I heard, the White House reported that GW didn't know about the deal until after the controversy started.

I don't know who, but somebody somewhere needs to get their facts straight.

Exactly. The US Gov't was not involved in this deal until the media got involved. Now congress wants to step in and block the transaction because of the alledged secuirty implications.

The US government was always involved because it does involve national security. It was the administration that limited the involvement of the Congress.

You misunderstand me. When I say not involved, I mean from the standpoint of originating the transaction. They were not involved in that regard as the media has alluded too.

Curtis 3L 'Oval Port' 98 Black SVT 180.5HP/178lbft '03 Black Sport Trac
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The US government was always involved because it does involve national security.

Fine. I have no problem with keeping the nation safe from attack, but the operations of the port are not performed by the gov't. Security is separate & a different issue.

It was the administration that limited the involvement of the Congress.

How/when did that happen?? The administration has yet to do anything. There has thus far been only talk AFAIK.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
The US government was always involved because it does involve national security.

Fine. I have no problem with keeping the nation safe from attack, but the operations of the port are not performed by the gov't. Security is separate & a different issue.

It was the administration that limited the involvement of the Congress.

How/when did that happen?? The administration has yet to do anything. There has thus far been only talk AFAIK.

From the AP.
Quote:

The White House said President Bush did not know about the agreement until recently. The AP first reported U.S. approval of the sale to Dubai Ports on Feb. 11, and many members of Congress have said they learned about it from the AP.

Quote:

In Lebanon, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Thursday that the agreement was thoroughly vetted in a review process that took approximately three months.

So some people had to be in the loop.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

I find it funny though, that RT, being a liberial, doesn't like Arabs now all of a sudden. I thought they were all for the minoritys?

Sorry I can't fit into that pigeon hole for you. Stated in my previous post my problem with this is having these points of entry into the US run by any foreign governments. Mmmm, nothing about Arabs there.
If the UAE chose to they could affect the US economy by manipulating the flow of goods through these ports. No foreign government should be able to wield that kind of power on our soil. Why do we monitor foreign investment? To prevent that sort of thing from happening. The stock market is for another thread.

Its a company that is PARTIALLY owned by the UAE government. And if I have missed your comments about not liking the Brits running the government, I'll offer my apologies, but it seems like not many people have problems with them running the ports, but do with a company partrially owned by UAE, which to me looks like people not liking Arabs....

Ryan Trollin!
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
If the UAE chose to they could affect the US economy by manipulating the flow of goods through these ports. No foreign government should be able to wield that kind of power on our soil.

Sure. And if we chose to, we could lay an embargo on oil purchases and arms sales to the UAE that would leave them economically crippled and unable to stand up to friggin' Qatar. The UAE is a modern, moderate, and *trusted* Arab ally. Neither country is going to do anything to damage the relationship there.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Based on your own posts, sounds like people were doing their jobs & the administration was not micro-managing. A good thing IMO.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S

I find it funny though, that RT, being a liberial, doesn't like Arabs now all of a sudden. I thought they were all for the minoritys?

Sorry I can't fit into that pigeon hole for you. Stated in my previous post my problem with this is having these points of entry into the US run by any foreign governments. Mmmm, nothing about Arabs there.
If the UAE chose to they could affect the US economy by manipulating the flow of goods through these ports. No foreign government should be able to wield that kind of power on our soil. Why do we monitor foreign investment? To prevent that sort of thing from happening. The stock market is for another thread.

And how could they affect the flow of goods in to OUR ports?

Curtis 3L 'Oval Port' 98 Black SVT 180.5HP/178lbft '03 Black Sport Trac
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by SVTNupe:

And how could they affect the flow of goods in to OUR ports?

When you control the points of departure and entry it's easy. Do you take orders form your boss? Let's say your boss says instead of unloading 40 containers an hour(which is a good clip) do 20. Now instead of four days to unload a ship it takes 8 maybe 10 days. Multiply that times I don't know how many ships a day and you've got a huge backlog of businesses not getting what they need to operate. Whole ships can be put in quarantine so they can't be unloaded at all. Equipment mysteriously breaks down slowing the load/unload process. Like I said before to many eggs in one basket for my liking.
Paranoid? Maybe, but I'd rather error on the side of caution.

Jeb? You're kidding with the oil embargo thing right?

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'd rather error on the side of caution.

Really? So you agree with being pre-emptive then, eh?

Ryan Trollin!
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I'd rather error on the side of caution.

Really? So you agree with being pre-emptive then, eh?

The guys who said Saddam had WMDs are probably the same guys who say this deal checks out OK sooo...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard