Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:

The ports are not OWNED by a foreign government. Port operations are being administered by a state-run corporation. There are differences.

Sounds like word play to me. Sooo who would be ultimately responsible for this "state run corporation"? A governmental body foreign to the United States? Oh I see the difference!

Yeah, the difference is the ports aren't owned by a foreign government, which is what was stated previously. The US owns the ports. The US has ultimate oversight for what the corporation does in running those ports. That's the way it was when the Brits were running them, and that's the way it'll be with Dubai running them. That's not wordplay, as much as you want to dismiss it as such.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
its quite interesting cause you have Bush making it seem as many Arabs were the enemy and now he's all like oh no no they are our friends and allies....But then again I dont see what the problem is if a foreign country like the U.K. owned our ports before and now a country that happened to be a VERY VERY rich Arab country owning it. The security is still gonna be the same as it was before, only that the Dubai country owns the company..I find this to be good..build bridges that were burned before..and Dubai's Airline "Emirates" has soooooooo much invested in Boeing that them not getting this deal because they are feared a terrorist nation would bring Boeing and other major companies down hard..actually doesnt Saudi and other rich arab countries have ALOT invested in the US? I find this to be good..UAE is a calm rich (very rich) arab nation..I like this deal..

at the same time though, somthing deep inside of me tells me that Bush and his friends are benefiting somthing outa this deal..its just a personal gut feeling i have ..this deal was too good to be true

J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
-the dubai company will not own the ports. at best you could call it renting space and they will not be in charge of security despite what is being reported in the news. we would still handle that.

-without doing the math myself to confirm i will just trust the economists and say that we are getting a very good deal from a purely monetary point of view.

-it would be extremely bad business to buy our ports just to blow them up.

-maybe the uae has changed its tune and now is on our side. then again maybe not. we have over a century of proof showing we can trust the brits not to try and kill/harm us. we do not have this with the uae. trust is earned, not given.

-hamas(a terrorist organization) legally took control of palistine. the naawp is a peaceful political offshoot of the kkk. both are prime examples of a wolf in sheep's clothing if there ever was one, which brings us to something an uncle of mine told me.

-one of my uncles was a marine who served two tours of duty in vietnam after which he spent a lifetime as a liar, a cheat and a thief involved with people who are, shall we say, unsavory at best. basically, he has spent his entire adult life protecting himself from people who would rather see him dead and as a result has a strict set of rules by which he lives. two of them directly apply here, they are edited for language:

if someone comes up to you acting like your best friend when he isn't, hang on to your "tool" and hang on to your wallet cause he is after something.

and

trust noone completely and most people not at all. not your momma, your daddy, brother, sister, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, wife, your children, your best friend, not even the men you commit crimes with. trust noone totally.

i certainlly hope the uae is now our friend and i am certainly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt considering their checkered past with us but i would prefer to start off with something small.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
its quite interesting cause you have Bush making it seem as many Arabs were the enemy and now he's all like oh no no they are our friends and allies....

I personally think you are taking thisout of content, BUsh has never said that Arab countries were our enemies. I find it interesting that were are now trying to make friends with countries that we have never really had an issue with. Look at our past. England, we broke away from them and they love us now. Japan, we attacked and killed 100,000's and now they are our partners. Russia was an enemy and look now.
You can make it to be about an Arab country owning our ports but remember where those ports are. I personally think you take this too persoanlly. I understand your point of view but you have to understand that the US WILL DO WHAT IT WANTS regardless os what the rest of the world thinks.

The UAE wants money, that is all they have ever focused on.

Just a Plain SE. AKA Big Country I maybe path914's B**** now, but wait until he needs his clutch done. We will see WHO is WHO's B**** then!
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
its quite interesting cause you have Bush making it seem as many Arabs were the enemy and now he's all like oh no no they are our friends and allies....But then again I dont see what the problem is if a foreign country like the U.K. owned our ports before and now a country that happened to be a VERY VERY rich Arab country owning it. The security is still gonna be the same as it was before, only that the Dubai country owns the company..I find this to be good..build bridges that were burned before..and Dubai's Airline "Emirates" has soooooooo much invested in Boeing that them not getting this deal because they are feared a terrorist nation would bring Boeing and other major companies down hard..actually doesnt Saudi and other rich arab countries have ALOT invested in the US? I find this to be good..UAE is a calm rich (very rich) arab nation..I like this deal..

at the same time though, somthing deep inside of me tells me that Bush and his friends are benefiting somthing outa this deal..its just a personal gut feeling i have ..this deal was too good to be true

Bush has never made it a racial thing. I don't know where you are getting that from. However, it does just so happen that the majority of the ones that want us dead are Muslim Arabs. :shrug:

I find it funny though, that RT, being a liberial, doesn't like Arabs now all of a sudden. I thought they were all for the minoritys?

Ryan Trollin!
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I think one thing which hasn't been mentioned is that the US is not simply telling the Brits that they are no longer working these US ports and that work will now be handed over to the UAE. But rather, it is UAE buying out this company.

Secondly, the UAE has been one of our strongiest allies in the middle. Not only do they have stakes in many US companies such as Boeing, but let me also mention that the US has sold the UAE 80 of THE most advanced and latest F-16s on the planet. No other nation includig the US has this Block of F-16s.

Curtis 3L 'Oval Port' 98 Black SVT 180.5HP/178lbft '03 Black Sport Trac
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
What is buggin' me is the press. They're reporting this like it was GW's deal or sup'm and I find that hard to swallow. The ports are not bought & sold by the feds are they? The ports down here have local port authorities or are privately owned. Is that unusual or sup'm?

According to one commentator I heard, the White House reported that GW didn't know about the deal until after the controversy started.

I don't know who, but somebody somewhere needs to get their facts straight.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
What is buggin' me is the press. They're reporting this like it was GW's deal or sup'm and I find that hard to swallow. The ports are not bought & sold by the feds are they? The ports down here have local port authorities or are privately owned. Is that unusual or sup'm?

According to one commentator I heard, the White House reported that GW didn't know about the deal until after the controversy started.

Exactly. The US Gov't was not involved in this deal until the media got involved. Now congress wants to step in and block the transaction because of the alledged secuirty implications.

Curtis 3L 'Oval Port' 98 Black SVT 180.5HP/178lbft '03 Black Sport Trac
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

I find it funny though, that RT, being a liberial, doesn't like Arabs now all of a sudden. I thought they were all for the minoritys?

Sorry I can't fit into that pigeon hole for you. Stated in my previous post my problem with this is having these points of entry into the US run by any foreign governments. Mmmm, nothing about Arabs there.
If the UAE chose to they could affect the US economy by manipulating the flow of goods through these ports. No foreign government should be able to wield that kind of power on our soil. Why do we monitor foreign investment? To prevent that sort of thing from happening. The stock market is for another thread.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by SVTNupe:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Exactly. The US Gov't was not involved in this deal until the media got involved. Now congress wants to step in and block the transaction because of the alledged secuirty implications.

The US government was always involved because it does involve national security. It was the administration that limited the involvement of the Congress.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard