Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T
Tom,

You're going to have to do it anyway, so why not start with the speakers? Swap them out and see how that affects your sound. Perhaps the stock HU isn't a bad source.

Mark

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Yeah, maybe. Bostonacoustics fit guide claims there standard 6.5" kit will fit with adaptations but I want the pro kit.

Anyone know who is top dog in the component speakers these days?

I've always been partial to Bostonacoustics components myself, at least their Pro series.

Right now my list is like this for my front end:
1. Bostonacoustics Pro60 (the older Pro's are what I had in my SVT)
2. Polk's new high end speakers/JLs/MB Quarts

3. Polk Momo's (nice but kinda dated, affordable however)

For my Sub I'm looking at ONE of these:

1.) JL Audio 12W7
2.) JBL W12GTi
3.) Boston G512-4
4.) Polk's new premium sub
5.) Orion HCA 12" can't remember the number

I only want one woofer this time with a moderate to small enclosure size and near perfect sound quality.

So what is the general consensus on these?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
I'm Definitely With You On The BostonAcoustic Pros Tom. That's What Will Be Finding Their Way Into My SVT.

As Far As The Sub Goes, There Are Still Some Other Choices Out There, Like The Kicker Solobaric That Has A Decent Price Point.

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W

Well, I'll look into them but last time I used them they took too much chamber volume.

I'm still really interested in the 12w7 though. Just looking for a good deal on one.

I pm'd the guy about a price on the cleansweep but he hasn't even been back on I guess. I like the rockford fosgate device but if it isn't available yet then the cleansweep is sufficient for me and locally I can get it for about $340.
I'm trying to get one delivered for about $300 though.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
W7 is nice, but not a good value.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Yeah, but I really like it. It depends on the price I get it for.

I also like the
JBL a lot.

R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by warmonger:
Anyone know who is top dog in the component speakers these days?

I enjoy building my own by picking out the drivers and making my own xovers.

Remember this is why we're at war! I'm now officially a troll! 2004 Saturn ION QC with Sport Package AIM/AOL: animusshinigami
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well,

I found a good sub, the JBL W12GTi on ebay for a good price, new.

Now I just need front end speakers and a DSP to interface with the head unit. I wish Fosgate were shipping their model, it looks friggin awesome; but I'm not waiting 2 more months to work on this sound system.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well, I got the Cleansweep installed in my Volvo this weekend. Along with two amplifiers.
I was holding out on buying it but my wife got tired of hearing me [censored] about the sound so she went out and bought me one.

It is very easy to hook up, assuming you've got wiring schematics and know what wires to hook it up to.
I've got to give them props, it is a very clean sounding item and it has a few cool features.
If your stock deck doesn't have an AUX/AMP turn on wire, the cleansweep has an amp turn on and there is a signal sense switch that will turn the amps off when there is no audio signal sensed on the speaker inputs. This helps out so that all you have to do is hook it up to switched 12v and if the radio is off, then so are the amps.
the volume control comes with a silver or black knob and it matched my Volvo brushed steel trim perfectly.
The knob allows an auxilliary input such as an ipod or mp3 player and you just push it down to switch over. Now I have all the music I want on top of the regular stereo.

So it is clean and quiet with no engine noise despite being spliced inline on the factory speaker wires. Fortunately Volvo uses true 14 and 16 ga wire for their speaker connections so I didn't have to replace all of it. I used 18ga to go from the where I tapped the speaker harness to the cleansweep and then 16 ga from the amp back to the splice.

I ended up buying Bostonacoustics Pro60 speakers for the front and just finished installing them tonight, but no reviews for you guys yet.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Well.. glad to hear it!!

As incredibly (anal)attentive as you are towards audio quality and setup ( Even as a deaf guy, I love you for that!) I know that you will have your Volvo sounding like perfection!

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard