#1508906 02/21/06 06:36 PM
M
MLuko Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
What are the pros and cons of each of them? i need help for a project

Mark 1998 T-Red SVT -Needs more Go 1999 Light Prairie Tan, Se Zetec www.cardomain.com/id/tour4reak
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I have N20, so my vote would be for a turbo.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Depends a lot on the vehicle that it's going on, and what type of nitrous or supercharger setup you are going for. Just to keep this somewhat Contour related, the Contour reacts awesome to nitrous. Just for an example, a 50 shot will generally give you ~50HP to the WHEELS on the Duratec motor. Not to mention all of the torque you get! The Supercharger gives really linear HP on the Duratec motor, and not a lot of torque. Roots style blowers on the Cobra/Lightning are great off the line, but don't make the power up top like most centrifugal blowers. Blowers though, can be used anytime you want. Nitrous obviously needs to be refilled. Nitrous on the other hand, needs the change of jets to up the "boost", while a Supercharger needs a pulley swap. Nitrous doesn't really require an intercooler, while S/C's create a lot of heatsoak without one. There are TONS of differences, good and bad. It's up to the end user which route they want to take.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
What car is this for? A contour? in any case Nitros is going to get you places where the broken vortec cant.

Supercharger:
Pros:
Instant Boost
Reusable
Sounds Great
Decent Power gains

Cons:
Needs a Tune
unreliable
need new clutch/LSD etc.
Expensive

Nitros:
Pros:
75 HP easy
Relativly cheap compared to SC
Dont need a LSD/Clutch etc.

Cons:
Have to refill bottle
Cant always use it
Needs a Tune
Needs a Flip Chip

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
boost = always there,
spray = got to fill the bottle, got to open the bottle. only good for a couple of runs

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
M
MLuko Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
sweet, thanks for the info guys.. its very usefull anything else i should know?

:edit: i got an A... i just BS'ed a pursusaive topic..

Mark 1998 T-Red SVT -Needs more Go 1999 Light Prairie Tan, Se Zetec www.cardomain.com/id/tour4reak
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Tourige:
Supercharger:
Pros:
Instant Boost
Reusable
Sounds Great
Decent Power gains

Cons:
Needs a Tune
unreliable
need new clutch/LSD etc.
Expensive

Nitros:
Pros:
75 HP easy
Relativly cheap compared to SC
Dont need a LSD/Clutch etc.

Cons:
Have to refill bottle
Cant always use it
Needs a Tune
Needs a Flip Chip

The Vortec for the Contour doesn't exactly make "instant boost." It takes quite a while to make full boost, so there's actually less stress on the diff and clutch than Nitrous. Nitrous is generally an instant shock to your drivetrain. So basically, you're going 200HP to 300HP, INSTANTLY! I would put an LSD and clutch in EITHER car, not just the S/C car. Besides, clutches are generally measured by torque load, and nitrous FAR outdoes the Vortec in torque. Next, you'll want to tune for ANY forced induction that you add to a car. I don't care if it's 3lbs. of boost out of a S/C or a 30 shot of N20, you NEED A TUNE!

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
The Vortec for the Contour doesn't exactly make "instant boost." It takes quite a while to make full boost, so there's actually less stress on the diff and clutch than Nitrous. Nitrous is generally an instant shock to your drivetrain. So basically, you're going 200HP to 300HP, INSTANTLY! I would put an LSD and clutch in EITHER car, not just the S/C car. Besides, clutches are generally measured by torque load, and nitrous FAR outdoes the Vortec in torque. Next, you'll want to tune for ANY forced induction that you add to a car. I don't care if it's 3lbs. of boost out of a S/C or a 30 shot of N20, you NEED A TUNE!

Mark

imagine that, some common sense

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Mark beat me to it. Ya gotta upgrade your tranny for any heavy FI or Nitrous mods.

Unless you like boom and grind. :shrugs:

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
vortech can be reliable,and you get more than a couple of runs out of a bottle,a run at the track is generally 14-15 seconds long...spray time is ruf'ly half that time

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard