Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
I also have an interior illumination problem. I noticed another one from a couple days ago, but mine is different. I have searched and found some great information but the problem persists and now I'm getting frustrated. The car is a:

1998 Contour SVT
77,000 miles
No electrical mods except Ford Racing 9mm plug wires.

About 1 month ago on my way to the Detroit Auto Show I lost my gauge illumination and later found out that my tailights and parking lights did not work. Headlights (low and high), foglights, turn signals (all 4 corners), brake lights, hazzards, stereo, clock, footwells, dome, warning chime, and indicators (PB light, CEL, etc.) within the IP all worked. I checked all related fuses and nothing. So I consulted CEG and found some very similar problems posted a while back. What I found was a problem with the headlight switch. Tony had posted that there was in fact a recall on 1998's for this problem. Once I found this out I immediately went to the dealer and they notified me that the recall does not apply to my specific vehicle, Fordvehilces.com said the samething. My next step was to buy a new headlight switch which was $140 at my local parts store. I then decided that I was going to a scrapyard to find a used one for cheap. Found a used headlight switch installed it everything was fixed and back to normal. Life was great.

Two weeks later I am leaving my house, I go to turn on my headlights and suddenly no gauge illumination, tailights or parking lights. Same symptoms as before. So I am looking for a cure/advice/opinions from CEG before I spend anymore money. Does anyone think that it being a used switch would have anything to do with this (it did work just fine for 2 weeks)? Is there a chance that there is a bad ground somewhere or possibly a short? I am by no means an electrican of any sort that is why I am asking before I go diving deep into the electrics of my vehicle.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Kip 98 CSVT Black/Midnight Blue
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
There are two items or issues on the headlamp switch recall. One or both could be the reason for it. I had to deal with the switch twice and the wiring once. And yes, the used switch could be the reason too (as evident by my switch being changed twice by the dealer; the first time, they replaced with the older part as opposed to the new and more robust switch, and it broke again within 2 months).

Prices and part numbers are below. Get from Bill Jenkins at www.teamfordparts.com

Headlamp Switch Recall 99S14

Wiring Kit F5RZ14A411BA $7.37
Headlamp Switch F5RZ11654J $59.45

Edit. If you are near a dealer, you may want to pick up a wiring kit first ($7.37) and see if that solves your problem before spending $59.45 for the switch.

Last edited by Tony2005; 02/18/06 09:28 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Thanks for the reply Tony. I think I will get the wiring kit, 8 bucks isn't bad. I already ordered a new switch before your reply (figured I would need a new one anyway), it will probably be best to go ahead and put a brand new switch in anyway. Thanks again for the help.

Kip 98 CSVT Black/Midnight Blue

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard