CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I am interested!

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I am interested too. Does this work for any kind of sub though?

S
Steeda. Offline OP
Captain Impound Boy
OP Offline
Captain Impound Boy
S
Originally posted by pug252:
I am interested too. Does this work for any kind of sub though?

Certian subs are better in a IB set up than others.

a 200wrms amp and a MTX 5500 is a good cheap setup.

but any sub can be used for IB setup just some do the job better

S
Steeda. Offline OP
Captain Impound Boy
OP Offline
Captain Impound Boy
S
If one more person expresses interest i'll make a new post for the group buy

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Count me in.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I'm no Audio guru by any means but correct me if I'm wrong, does'nt a sub need a box to create good sounding bass? If I use a sub that I have in an enclosure and mount it to the rear deck, won't it sound like crap?

IIRC when I have tested a power to a sub w/out having it in a box the sub moves alot but does not produce much bass. It's not untill I put it in a box that the sub produced the "boomy" bass.

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
S
Steeda. Offline OP
Captain Impound Boy
OP Offline
Captain Impound Boy
S
There are certian subs which do not require a box.

Like the MTX5500 and a hand full of others. Its call Infinite Baffle uses the trunk as the box.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by teamSVTour:
I'm no Audio guru by any means but correct me if I'm wrong, does'nt a sub need a box to create good sounding bass? If I use a sub that I have in an enclosure and mount it to the rear deck, won't it sound like crap?

IIRC when I have tested a power to a sub w/out having it in a box the sub moves alot but does not produce much bass. It's not untill I put it in a box that the sub produced the "boomy" bass.

These subs are in a box... it is called the trunk.

There is a difference between not being in a box and being in open air vs not being in a box but still having the front and back waves from the speaker separated from each other. Not having the separation is what results in the big movement/no sound you referred to because the front and back waves cancel each other out.

All that matters is that the trunk is sealed off from the interior, and more importantly that the speaker is designed to work in a really big box or infinate baffle (IB) arrangement like this.

Bob Johann SoundQ SVT 1998 T-Red SVT Contour #3088 2001 IASCA Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 SLAP Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 MECA SQL Master Class Champion 2003 IASCA StreetX 1-600 Champion 2005 SLAP Expert Street Champion
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by SoundQ SVT:
and more importantly that the speaker is designed to work in a really big box or infinate baffle (IB) arrangement like this.

this was my point. All the subs I've ever used have had very specific dimensions that the box needed to be.

If you know the handful of subs that this would work w/ I would be interested to see what they are.

SOLD Polarg M-28 super bright white bulbs. Replace yellow stock license plate bulbs. See add in classifieds. WANTED:: EVO style CF hood
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by teamSVTour:

If you know the handful of subs that this would work w/ I would be interested to see what they are.

generally, any sub can be run in an IB or VLV trunk style enclosure. it's just that some are better at it than others. the reason the subs you've used had a specific box size listed is because that is the size that will have the highest output potential for that given sub at max wattage (given the particular box type). that same sub can be used in an IB setup, and will generally give you less overall all out output, but will give you more output per watt than in a traditional enclosure.

there are several companies that make IB specific subs... image dynamics is probably one of the better known names for it. i personally run 2 15's "IB" and love it.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard